MG RACER RESTORED
Ex-works MGA out of 43-year hibernation
Arare MGA that’s been unused since 1974 is nearing the end of its restoration in the Yorkshire-based workshop of MGA guru, Bob West.
Well-known racer, Ted Lund, bought the car new in 1956 and had it equipped with BMC Competition Department features, including a Morris radiator’s oil-cooler, additional Andrex friction shock absorbers and twin fuel pumps.
Current owner, David Anderson, bought it from flatmate Barry Paxton in 1967 for £125 and used it as his daily driver in his student days and beyond until 1974. At this time, the car was bright yellow and although he was aware that it might have raced, he had no details.
However, he always intended to restore it and contacted Bob in 2013. Bob has worked on every competition MGA so he recognised NBL’s works accessories and was excited to see it because it was believed lost. Although it was extremely rusty, and sported a wooden B-pillar made by Barry, Bob has saved as much of the car as he could.
The pair are determined to restore it to the exact specification it had during its rally season of 1956 when driven by Lund; period reports indicate he spun on the Hardknott Pass hill climb but recorded a creditable 19.2 seconds.
David Anderson says: ‘ We’re hoping to rally the car, and ultimately we would love to enter the Mille Miglia!
‘ We’re also keen to find information or pictures pertaining to NBL 273 and to identify previous owners after Ted Lund sold the car in the Lancashire/Wallasey area in 1958.’
Ted Lund and passenger tackle the 1956 MCC Rally in Hastings.