The analysis of angst!
If I’d looked much harder I would have spotted the supposedly obvious problem of the American foam being too big. Trouble was, the issue wasn’t easily discernible. Foams by their very nature bend and contort and this is what had happened when I tried but failed to fit the seat cover. The over length foam was quite happy being compressed end to end until I tried to pull the sides of the cover down. At this point the pressure was too much and the ends jumped out as the sides were clipped in place. Quite simply I was trying to get far too much foam into too small a place. As Phil Turner pointed out, if I’d have stood back and laid the foam on top of the cover minus the seat base I’d probably have spotted the issue and stopped there and then. Still it’s a lesson learnt and one I’ll not forget. Every day is a school day as the say, which is just as well because I’ve a Yamaha AS1 twin seat to sort out at some point! Thanks Phil Turner for digging me out of the mire. If you want a seat sorted give the man a call, you’re unlikely go elsewhere ever again!