Residents hit out over ‘bin not emptied for over month’
RUBBISH was left uncollected for over a month on one Canley street because council workers were unaware that the communal bin had been moved.
Residents of flats above the shops on Charter Avenue have been left with an overflowing bin for several weeks, with bags surrounding the bin being collected - but not the bin itself.
In addition to the unbearable stench, residents claim that it has caused an infestation of rats.
One resident, who did not wish to be named, said: “The bins haven’t been emptied for over a month. All the council are doing is cleaning the bags around it.
“I’ve contacted them and been told that even though we now have rats, they have A FURIOUS mum says she has to dodge dog mess, vomit, empty drug packets and rubbish scattered along the street on her way to school.
Rebecca Summers shot a video as she walked along Milton Street in Stoke with her children, near to where she lives.
It shows a small stretch of the road littered with cigarette butts, plastic wrappers and small plastic bags which Rebecca says have remnants of cocaine in - but the mum says that is just a snapshot of the whole area.
She said: “The whole area is a mess. There are drug bags, sick, dog mess and everything.
“There’s a post office on the corner with an ATM outside and a lot of receipts get left on the floor there.
“Across the road there is an empty space with a fence around it and that gets used as a dumping ground for bags of rubbish.
“That’s the way I walk to take my little boy to school. You’ve got to watch where you’re walking because it’s not safe.”
Rebecca said she was disgusted that the street had not been kept clean.
After posting the video on Facebook, she was urged by her friends to report the litter to the council.
But Rebecca said she couldn’t find out how to report the mess when she visited Coventry City Council’s website.
The Telegraph has contacted Coventry City Council for a comment.
no idea when or if it will be sorted.
“I’ve got a three-year-old and I know at least one other person living here has a child.
“It’s health and safety, and well, it’s disgusting. The smell is so bad.”
Coventry City Council, who are responsible for collecting the bins from the flats, failed to empty the bin, as it had been moved from its designated location. A council spokesperson said: “
“We’re going out to the site to clear the excess waste.
“The communal bin is for domestic waste for the flats above the businesses although it is often misused by other people. On this occasion it was moved to a new location – which we were unaware of.
“Our crew are moving it back it back to its correct location.
“We will continue weekly collections now that we have identified the issue.”