Coventry Telegraph - - FRONT PAGE - > AN­NETTE BELCHER RE­PORTS:

A NUNEATON man has been jailed for six months af­ter he head­but­ted a para­medic un­con­scious.

David Neal, 33, at­tacked the West Mid­lands Am­bu­lance worker dur­ing the early hours of Sun­day, Novem­ber 12, af­ter down­ing four bot­tles of Sam­buca.

The blow to the vic­tim’s head was so pow­er­ful that it sent him “fly­ing across the room”, Warwick Mag­is­trates’ Court heard yes­ter­day.

Neal, of Vale View, Nuneaton, pleaded guilty to as­sault.

He also pleaded guilty to a string of other as­sault charges, in­clud­ing a do­mes­tic at­tack.

In a state­ment read out in court, the para­medic said: “I have been do­ing this job for 30 years and I love it.

“I do it to help peo­ple but now I feel like I have to watch over my shoul­der, this is un­fair on me and the pa­tient as they can’t have my full at­ten­tion.

“I had the shakes and don’t want to feel like I need to be con­cerned all the time.”

Pros­e­cut­ing, Naila Iqbal said the am­bu­lance worker had been at­tend­ing a call at a house in Tryan Road dur­ing the early hours of Sun­day morn­ing.

Neal was present at the home, along with an­other man and woman.

The para­medic had been try­ing to at­tend to a pa­tient inside the home but said Neal was ar­gu­ing with the other man and woman and the sit­u­a­tion was be­com­ing “dis­rup­tive”.

The para­medic tried to di­rect Neal out of the house so he could deal with the pa­tient, at which point Neal then head-butted the am­bu­lance worker un­con­scious.

De­scrib­ing the at­tack, the para­medic said in his state­ment: “One of the men in­stantly head-butted me in the lower face.

“The hit was so pow­er­ful that it sent me fly­ing across the room.

“I was knocked un­con­scious for sec­onds and when I woke up, the men had gone.”

De­fend­ing, Cath McMil­lan said Neal could not re­mem­ber the at­tack.

“Never has Mr Neal been in a sit­u­a­tion where has not re­mem­bered a thing and this has scared him,” Ms McMil­lan said.

“My client is ap­palled to hear of his ac­tions and be­hav­iour to­wards an am­bu­lance worker and is ex­tremely re­morse­ful.

“Due to the sever­ity of this at­tack and the other as­saults, he ac­cepts this has crossed the cus­tody thresh­old by a coun­try mile.”

Neal was sen­tenced to a six month prison sen­tence for as­sault­ing the para­medic, of which he will serve four months.

He was also given a two month prison sen­tence for as­sault­ing an­other per­son on the same date, with this sen­tence run­ning con­sec­u­tively with the pre­vi­ous.

He was also served sep­a­rate prison sen­tences for as­saults on two other peo­ple on Novem­ber 12, an as­sault on Septem­ber 12 and for sep­a­rate as­sault charges on Oc­to­ber 22, Novem­ber 4 and Novem­ber 6.

All of the sen­tences will run con­cur­rently and Neil will serve six months in prison, in to­tal.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.