Cynon Valley - - RUGBY UNION -


BAR­GOED very nearly pulled off a re­mark­able vic­tory com­ing back from a 14-0 deficit af­ter just eight min­utes, only to see the win dra­mat­i­cally taken away from them with only two min­utes left on the clock.

It looked like it was go­ing to be a long af­ter­noon for the Bulls and their sup­port­ers when Cardiff Blues full back Dan Fish crossed af­ter three min­utes con­verted by Gareth Thomp­son and five min­utes later ref­eree Craig Evans deemed that Bar­goed stopped a driv­ing maul il­le­gally close to the line and awarded a penalty try, 0-14 af­ter eight min­utes. Add to that a bril­liant try-sav­ing in­ter­ven­tion by Bulls wing Ash­ley Nor­ton and the home side were on the rack.

How­ever, Bar­goed are noth­ing if not re­silient this sea­son and slowly the for­wards be­gan to im­pose them­selves with a very strong set piece aided by solid mid­field de­fence. And it was the scrum that pro­vided the plat­form for Bar­goed’s first try. The for­wards drove and Cardiff were pe­nalised.

Ian Smer­don kicked to the cor­ner and from the li­ne­out No 8 Ieuan Jones and hooker Leigh Meades com­bined.

The ref­eree had sig­nalled ad­van­tage for an­other penalty and Smer­don put in a spec­u­la­tive kick to the wing which came to noth­ing. A scrum was called from the penalty and the Cardiff eight were again un­der pres­sure, scrum half Hal­let broke and switched back in­side where Ieuan Jones was the grate­ful re­cip­i­ent and he crossed un­der the posts. Mathew Lewis added the con­ver­sion and Bar­goed had stead­ied the ship as the game en­tered the sec­ond quar­ter with the score 7-14.

Bar­goed’s resur­gence con­tin­ued with a Lewis penalty on 31 min­utes and the try of the game gave the home side the lead with just three min­utes of the half left. Ash­ley Nor­ton had left his wing to hit the mid­field with Bar­goed tak­ing pos­ses­sion from a li­ne­out just in­side the Cardiff half.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.