Ton move up to third in ta­ble

Cynon Valley - - RUGBYUNION -


NEWLY-PRO­MOTED Ynysowen were the vis­i­tors to Tylcha Fawr Park for this Di­vi­sion 3 East Cen­tral B game and with the weather tak­ing a turn for the worst Ton were very aware that their big pack could have a huge ef­fect on the out­come in the wet and muddy con­di­tions.

As it turned out the home pack were more than a match for them in most phases with the vis­i­tors just shad­ing the scrums.

Ton took the game to the vis­i­tors from the first whis­tle and had a try dis­al­lowed early on be­fore penal­ties from Gar­reg Lewis and Lee Ber­bil­lion got the score­board mov­ing in their favour. After the sec­ond penalty Ton were un­able to take the restart cleanly and this gave Ynysowen a foothold in Ton ter­ri­tory for the first time. They used their bulky for­wards to try and drive through the de­fen­sive line a num­ber of times but were con­tin­u­ally met with ag­gre­sive de­fence from the home team and came away empty handed.

On the half hour Ton were back in Ynysowen ter­ri­tory and from a scrum on the 10m line Steve Driscoll picked up and made ground be­fore slip­ping the ball to his scrum half who threw a long pass out to right wing Lee Ber­bil­lion. He made good ground, through what was the mud­di­est part of the field, be­fore off-load­ing, back in­side, to Lewis Crabb who touched down for the try.

The home side were play­ing with con­fi­dence now and al­though Ynysowen came back at them from the restart with their driv­ing game Ton weath­ered the storm and took play back up­field. They re­tained pos­ses­sion through a num­ber of phases which ended with Chris Rand touch­ing down out wide to make the score 16-0 at the half­time whis­tle.

In the sec­ond half Ton had the slope in their favour but it was Ynysowen who made the bet­ter start. They took play deep into home ter­ri­tory and from a li­ne­out they drove for the try line. Ton worked hard and stopped the drive and sur­vived three 5m scrums be­fore Ynysowen even­tu­ally touched down at the fourth at­tempt, to score their only points of the game.

On the hour mark the home side gave the vis­i­tors a taste of their own medicine when they drove a 5m li­ne­out take over the try line for Liam Roberts to score and fol­lowed up 10 min­utes later when Chris Rand got on the end of a well-placed cross-field kick to touch down un­der the posts with­out a hand be­ing laid on him. Alex Pugs­ley added the ex­tras and Ton were 28-5 up and look­ing com­fort­able. As the game moved into its clos­ing stages they missed two fur­ther tries with the ball be­ing knocked on with the try line open.

An­other good per­for­mance and re­sult for Ton which sees them move up to third in the ta­ble which, in all hon­esty, has not been their ter­ri­tory for a few years. Prominent for Ton in the first half was young flanker Ryan Owen who is play­ing his first sea­son of se­nior rugby and it was pleas­ing to see Craig Keo­han and Liam Roberts back in Ton colours after in­juries and work com­mit­ments.

Next week Ton are away to Old Ill­tid­i­ans in the WRU Bowl.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.