Cynon Valley - - FOOTBALL -

CWM­BACH ROYAL STARS ............................. 1 AFC ABER­CYNON ........ 2

THIRD met fifth in the ta­ble as AFC Aber­cynon made the short trip up the Cardiff Road to face Cwm­bach Royal Stars in this Divi­sion One clash at the Re­cre­ation Ground.

And it was the home side who made most of the early run­ning with Corey Burke and for­mer Aber­cynon mid­fielder Joe Meeke both highly prom­i­nent as their side went look­ing to break the dead­lock. How­ever, AFC re­mained com­pact in the de­fen­sive third with cen­tre halves Geraint Winder and Tom Ed­wards both in fine form.

On 25 min­utes Cynon right-back Geraint Brown con­ceded a free kick fully 30 yards from goal. And as a con­se­quence the home side were un­lucky in the ex­treme not to go in front as Corey Burke saw his thun­der­ous free kick crash on to the AFC cross­bar with keeper Matthew Grif­fiths a help­less spec­ta­tor.

Then, just be­fore the half-time break, the visitors were awarded a penalty by match of­fi­cial Ian Thorn­ton af­ter winger Tom Spruce was felled in­side the Cwm­bach 18yard area. And mid­fielder Kieran Green­away made no mis­take from the spot kick to score for the third game on the bounce. The home side then re­sponded well but when the half-time whis­tle blew, the score re­mained 0-1 to Aber­cynon.

Fol­low­ing the turn­around the visitors went look­ing to con­sol­i­date their lead with Kieran Green­away and MOM Gareth Davies putting out all the fires in the cen­tral third and David Lloyd and Tom Spruce both mak­ing great in­roads down their re­spec­tive flanks. How­ever, Cwm­bach proved a tough nut to crack and came back strongly as the sec­ond half opened out. And af­ter in­tro­duc­ing a flurry of sub­sti­tutes, they re­ally took the game to Aber­cynon, putting the back four un­der in­tense pres­sure go­ing into the lat­ter stages of the match.

But on 75 min­utes the visitors counter-at­tacked via a great pass out of de­fence from Tom Ed­wards who found David Lloyd with a rak­ing ball. Lloyd then drew the ad­vanc­ing keeper and fired home to make it 0-2. Striker Gra­ham Ran­dell then went close af­ter he shot from an acute an­gle. The ball did beat Car­wyn Jones but the frame of the goal de­nied Ran­dell his fourth goal of the sea­son.

With the clock rapidly run­ning down Cwm­bach launched one fi­nal at­tack and this time their en­deav­our was re­warded when Jor­dan Thomas headed home to give the visitors a fright. How­ever, AFC were able to dig in to claim all three points.

Kirean Green­away scored the de­ci­sive spot kick

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.