Cynon Valley - - FOOTBALL -


LL­WYD­COED gained a dra­matic vic­tory and moved into the quar­ter­fi­nals af­ter win­ning the ex­tra-time penalty shootout.

The hero of the match was the Ll­wyd­coed goal­keeper Andy Har­g­reaves sav­ing the fifth penalty taken by United’s Jor­dan Vick­ers.

Ll­wyd­coed were play­ing with 10 play­ers and Ioan Evans played through the pain bar­rier with cramp, an heroic ef­fort by the Ll­wyd­coed 10.

Ll­wyd­coed were forced into a late change af­ter Adam But­ler was in­jured in the warm-up, Luke Davies tak­ing his place.

The match was pul­sat­ing from start to fin­ish. Ll­wyd­coed were pushed back on the de­fen­sive with United’s Jor­dan Vick­ers, Ryan Thomas and Aaron Richards com­bin­ing, the qual­ity of United’s play was ev­i­dent as was Ll­wyd­coed’s de­fence and goal­keeper. They broke out of their de­fen­sive du­ties break­ing clear through Jonathan Ma­son and Ricky Carter, they won a cor­ner and Chris Stonelake scored with a top fin­ish from a set move in­volv­ing Tom Mor­ris and Luke Davies.

Back came United, putting the Ll­wyd­coed de­fence un­der pres­sure but they rode it out with some heroic de­fend­ing by Liam Jones, Gabriel Williams, Luke Davies and Scott Wal­ters clear­ing shots off the line and tack­ling ev­ery­thing that moved. United had more pos­ses­sion than Ll­wyd­coed who had de­fended for longer but had other chances through Ricky Carter and Chris Stonelake and one out­stand­ing pass out of de­fence by Gabriel Williams al­most gave Ll­wyd­coed a great chance. The first half fin­ished with United in ar­rears af­ter gain­ing a big­ger pos­ses­sion count.

Ll­wyd­coed started the sec­ond half with Tom Mor­ris find­ing space and link­ing up the play with Ioan Evans, Jay Wood­ford sup­port­ing him. Back came United but the Ll­wyd­coed play­ers dealt with the threat, the move­ment of the Ll­wyd­coed play­ers be­gan to cre­ate open­ings and took full ad­van­tage. They won a free kick, ex­pertly taken by Tom Mor­ris find­ing Ricky Carter and Gabriel Williams who read the si­t­u­a­tion to score show­ing su­perb aware­ness. The match was in­trigu­ing to watch.

United re­sponded and won a penalty scored by Ryan Thomas.

Back came Ll­wyd­coed as they al­most scored but back came United, their sub­sti­tute Ash­ley Cur­tis cre­at­ing prob­lems and won a cor­ner that went straight in scored by Jor­dan Vick­ers.

More chances for both teams but no more goals in nor­mal time so the match went into ex­tra­time.

The start of ex­tra-time proved to be a big set back for the hosts.

They had Luke Davies sent off for a foul, his sec­ond yel­low card, so one player less and all sub­sti­tutes used who were Cal­lum Henry, Liam Price and Mor­gan Andrews. The re­main­der of the ex­tra-time showed how much the Ll­wyd­coed play­ers played for the badge. Their at­ti­tude and com­mit­ment was out­stand­ing see­ing them through to the penalty shoot-out.

United were up first to start the dra­matic shootout.

Their first four play­ers scored as did Ll­wyd­coed’s and them came the turn­ing point with Andy Har­g­reaves div­ing low to his right to pull off a ma­jes­tic save and start the cel­e­bra­tions.

AFC Ll­wyd­coed player Chris Stonelake wheels away to cel­e­brate scor­ing the open­ing goal

AFC Ll­wyd­coed’s striker Ricky Carter wins this aerial chal­lenge

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.