Solicitor, 25, died while taking bath Inquest hears law graduate had ‘great future’:
A SOLICITOR with epilepsy died while taking a bath, an inquest has heard.
Samuel Anson, 25, was found in his bathroom by friends on August 5 last year after failing to answer his phone.
Cardiff coroner’s court heard that Mr Anson, of Cardiff Road, Aberdare, had been warned of the risk of taking baths after he began suffering from seizures in 2015. A keen cricketer, the Swansea solicitor had originally arranged to get a lift with friends on the day of his death to play pool in Hirwaun.
But when his friends failed to hear from him, they became concerned and forced open his bathroom door.
Giving evidence, PC Sophie Thomas said emergency services were called to the house but found “no evidence” suspicious activity.
In a statement read in court, pathologist Esther Youd said: “The most likely cause of death in this instance is immersion in water.
“Mr Anson suffered from several medication conditions including epilepsy and type one diabetes.”
During the post-mortem examination it was found that Mr Anson was “likely” to have suffered of from an epileptic fit and did not have the “target concentration” of epilepsy medication in his body at the time of his death.
Recording a conclusion of death due to accident, coroner Sarah Richards said: “The target concentration is between six and 20mg per litre; however, this was not found. In fact, no drugs were detected.”
In a statement read in court, friend Andrew Harding said he had driven to Mr Anson’s house after concerned.
He added: “We had a group chat to discuss what we were going to do and at 2.04pm Sam said he was watching cricket.
“I told Sam I would pick him up and Sam replied, ‘Yeah, all right.’
“I rang Sam to make sure two or three times but there was no answer.”
A former pupil at Ysgol Gynradd Abercynon and Ysgol Gyfun Rhydywaun, Mr Anson was described becoming in the inquest as a “excellent student” and sportsman who had graduated with a BA and MA in law from Cardiff University.
Mr Anson’s father Adam Anson said: “I was woken by someone knocking on the door.
“I went to the door and experienced a parent’s worst nightmare.”
He added: “Sam had a great future ahead of him. He was loved by his family and will be greatly missed.”