Found hanged, boy of 12 who feared a telling off for leav­ing satchel at home

Daily Mail - - Shakespeare - By James Tozer

A BOY of 12 was found hanged in his bed­room af­ter fear­ing he would be in trou­ble for for­get­ting to take his satchel to school.

Tyrese Glas­gow only re­alised he did not have his books with him when his mother was driv­ing him and his younger sis­ter to classes, an in­quest heard.

He walked back home to get his school bag, but when he ar­rived he dis­cov­ered he had lost his door key and was un­able to get in.

Fear­ing he would be re­buked by teach­ers for be­ing late and with­out his bag, Tyrese failed to show

‘Torn be­tween two par­ents’

up for lessons and the school rang his mother to ask where he was. Her part­ner later found Tyrese sit­ting on the front doorstep, but he ran up­stairs into his bed­room where his mother sub­se­quently found him hanged. His miss­ing front door key was dis­cov­ered un­der the hand­brake of her car.

Af­ter his death more than 1,000 fel­low pupils from Sad­dle­worth School, in Up­per­mill near Old­ham, formed a mov­ing guard of honour along­side teach­ers and lo­cal res­i­dents as his fu­neral cortege passed through the vil­lage.

The in­quest in Stock­port was told that Tyrese had been a ‘giddy funny boy’ but was badly af­fected by the break-up of his par­ents’ re­la­tion­ship when he was five and he needed coun­selling to con­trol his emo­tions.

His mother Katy Cross, 32, said: ‘He was torn be­tween two par­ents. He would get emo­tional when he was re­ally an­noyed with him­self or when he was in trou­ble. He would get up­set and an­gry, like clench­ing fists. He would look an­gry at first and then he would be in tears and say­ing how sorry he was.

‘It would take him about 20 min­utes to calm down.’

The tragedy hap­pened on June 15 last year af­ter Tyrese had won a ‘star of the term’ award at the 1,300-pupil school. Miss Cross told the hear­ing: ‘He was hav­ing a good patch at school but that day I was tak­ing him to school when he said, “Mum I’ve for­got­ten my bag”.

‘If I had gone back through the traf­fic I’d be late for work. I told him to go and get it and go to school. He just didn’t want to go with­out his bag be­cause he would have been graded “red” for for­get­ting his books.’

Miss Cross said he would still have had time to go home to nearby Moss­ley to fetch the bag be­fore classes started.

Af­ter be­ing con­tacted by the school sev­eral times dur­ing the day and ring­ing and mes­sag­ing Tyrese with­out any re­sponse, she asked her part­ner to check on him.

He ar­rived home at 4.10pm, with Miss Cross re­turn­ing at 4.50pm. She said: ‘I shouted for him and there was no an­swer, I shouted for him again and that’s when I darted into his room.’

Af­ter the hor­ri­fy­ing dis­cov­ery, Miss Cross and her part­ner tried un­suc­cess­fully to re­vive Tyrese. Post-mortem tests con­firmed he died from as­phyx­i­a­tion.

Tyrese’s fa­ther, An­thony Glas­gow, 35, a former soldier who served in Iraq, said there had been noth­ing that gave him cause for con­cern about Tyrese. ‘The day he went a part of me died,’ he said.

Coro­ner Anna Mor­ris recorded a nar­ra­tive con­clu­sion. ‘There is no ev­i­dence Tyrese in­tended to take his own life,’ she said. ‘He was strug­gling to cope with the com­plex and com­pet­ing emo­tions that ado­les­cence brings. But he was a pop­u­lar and loved child.’

For con­fi­den­tial sup­port, call the Sa­mar­i­tans on 116123, visit a lo­cal branch or go to­mar­i­

School award: Tyrese Glas­gow

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.