Welsh chief may face inquest on minister’s death
WELSH First Minister Carwyn Jones could be called before an inquest into the death of sacked minister Carl Sargeant, it emerged yesterday.
Coroner John Gittins said he planned to take a statement from Mr Jones, who has been heavily criticised for commenting on groping allegations against the 49year-old days before he was found dead.
The coroner said he would not consider whether there was any truth in the accusations that led to Mr Sargeant’s sacking from the Welsh Assembly. But he would examine steps taken ‘to have regard to his mental welfare prior to his death’.
Friends said Mr Jones’ comments ‘fuelled Carl’s despair’ and questioned why he hadn’t simply been suspended from his post. Mr Sargeant had been removed from his cabinet role over allegations of ‘unwanted attention, inappropriate touching or groping’.
The latest development in the row that has rocked Labour came as it was revealed the father-of-two was found hanged at his home in Connah’s Quay, North Wales, last Tuesday by his wife after she discovered a note on the utility room door.
The message told Bernadette Sargeant not to enter and instead call police, but she went inside and discovered his body on the floor, the opening of his inquest was told. The hearing was adjourned.