THE SOLE SURVIVOR
Angler saved from choke death after live fish falls down throat
AN angler nearly died when a fish he had just caught slipped down his throat as he jokingly pretended to eat it. He went into cardiac arrest as the 6in Dover sole blocked his respiratory tract.
Pals called 999 and performed CPR till paramedics arrived. After six attempts the team removed the fish – still alive – with forceps. By then the victim, 28, had not breathed for three minutes.
But he was revived in the ambulance on Boscombe Pier, Bournemouth, given a hospital check and discharged.
Witness Carl Smith, 31, also fishing there at the time, said: “The man joked, ‘This sole is bite-size’ and held it above his open mouth.
“But it slipped from his fingers straight to the back of his throat.
“He panicked, ran down the pier then hit the deck. He couldn’t talk and we knew he was choking.” Paramedic Matt Harrison said: “It was clear we had to get the fish out or this patient would die. But its barbs and gills were getting stuck on the way back up.
“I was acutely aware I had just one more attempt at getting this right. If I lost grip or a bit broke off and it slid further down there was nothing more we could have done.
“Finally the fish came out in one piece. I don’t think I’ll ever attend a more bizarre call-out.”
DARING Penelope Cruz in sultry poses for magazine
BARBS A Dover sole