Pa­tient killed af­ter drink­ing clean­ing fluid left in juice jug

Daily Mirror (Northern Ireland) - - NEWS - BY MARTIN FRICKER

A PEN­SIONER died af­ter hospi­tal staff re­port­edly gave her clean­ing fluid to drink, wrongly think­ing it was or­ange juice.

The poi­sonous liq­uid had ap­par­ently been left in a water jug on a ward at the NHS Royal Sus­sex County Hospi­tal in Brighton.

Union of­fi­cials said that a mem­ber of staff mis­took the or­ange fluid for juice and poured a glass for the 85-year-old pa­tient.

The vic­tim, who has not been named, re­ceived emer­gency treat­ment af­ter col­laps­ing but died on Septem­ber 23. Sus­sex Po­lice, the NHS and the Care Qual­ity Com­mis­sion are in­ves­ti­gat­ing. Gary Palmer, of the GMB union, said: “Clean­ing fluid was de­canted into a water jug. The staff mem­ber looked in­side and thought it was juice. “This is not the in­di­vid­ual’s mis­take but a fail­ing of the Trust. “They are not giv­ing ad­e­quate train­ing to staff, who are un­der pres­sure.” Sus­sex Po­lice said: “The death has been re­ferred to the coroner.” The hospi­tal would not com­ment amid the po­lice in­quiry.

DEATH Hospi­tal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.