Parkin­son stung as Yo & Co run amok

Daily Star Sunday - - RESULT! - By STEVE MOR­GAN By Harry Pratt

YOANN BARBET, Nico Yen­naris and Ol­lie Watkins scored stun­ning strikes as Brent­ford gained a first Cham­pi­onship win of the sea­son at the ex­pense of bot­tom-of-the-ta­ble Bolton.

Wan­der­ers are now the only sec­ond-tier team without a win and last sea­son’s League One run­ners-up have also lost six suc­ces­sive league and cup out­ings.

Just as wor­ry­ing for boss Phil Parkin­son, his side have not scored for 566 min­utes, set­ting an un­wanted club record of six games without a goal.

Sub­sti­tute Barbet, who came on in the 17th minute for skip­per John Egan who suf­fered a head in­jury, blasted the Bees into a first-half lead with a left-foot free-kick in the 38th minute from 30 yards af­ter Mark Beev­ers com­mit­ted a foul try­ing to re­trieve team-mate An­tonee Robin­son’s er­ror.

And Ro­maine Sawyers went close to adding a sec­ond be­fore the break.

In the sec­ond half, Parkin­son brought on Craig Noone and Aaron Wil­bra­ham af­ter 61 min­utes to try to change the game.

In­stead, for­mer Ar­se­nal trainee Yen­naris smashed in a spec­tac­u­lar long-range free-kick with a bril­liant 30-yard right-foot spe­cial just af­ter the hour.

And Watkins com­pleted a hat-trick of high-qual­ity fin­ishes seven min­utes from time for Brent­ford’s first win at Bolton in 25 years and lifted Dean Smith’s side out of the rel­e­ga­tion zone.

Smith said: “Our per­for­mances this sea­son have been very good and it was very good again to­day.

“We took three valu­able points with three won­der­ful goals.

“They have a lot of height and power but we dealt with that re­ally well.”

Bolton boss Parkin­son said: “We lost our way to­day and we can’t hide away from that. Our de­sire to chase the game in terms of putting more at­tack­ing play­ers on en­sured it be­came a more open game and we lost our struc­ture.

“In other games where we have been beaten, like Ip­swich last week, we were right in the game un­til the end and had far more about our play than we did to­day.”

JUR­GEN KLOPP’S com­plete de­nial of a Liver­pool cri­sis gath­ered mo­men­tum yes­ter­day – cour­tesy of a siz­zling dis­play from Philippe Coutinho.

The Brazil­ian ace, sup­pos­edly unsettled af­ter a sum­mer be­ing chased by the mighty Barcelona, cer­tainly looked back to his stun­ning best here.

Un­der­lin­ing just why the Span­ish gi­ants were pre­pared to pay £130mil­lion for his ser­vices, Coutinho made Liver­pool’s first goal for Mo Salah be­fore pro­duc­ing a trade­mark free-kick to put Liver­pool on course for a vi­tal first win in five matches.

When Coutinho ticks like this, more of­ten than not the Merseysiders do too.

Even then it needed a re­mark­able sec­ond-half penalty save from much-ma­ligned keeper Si­mon Mig­no­let from Jamie Vardy to pre­vent Le­ices­ter snatch­ing a point.

Hav­ing been dumped out of League Cup here four days ear­lier, Klopp’s Reds re­turned to the scene and took sweet re­venge.

And a first league win since crush­ing Ar­se­nal means they head to Spar­tak Moscow – who were yes­ter­day held to a 2-2 draw at home to Anzhi Makhachkala – in the Cham­pi­ons League on Tues­day with con­fi­dence.

If they are not in con­tention at the top of the ta­ble quite yet, they at least have a rea­son­ably healthy look­ing 11 points on the board, which puts them in fifth spot.

Klopp said: “It is not a time to be com­pletely cool but over­all I was happy with our per­for­mance. The boys de­served the three points.

“The free-kick for the first goal was not a free-kick and it was a foul on Si­mon for the sec­ond goal.

“At the start of the sec­ond half we played the same foot­ball like Le­ices­ter – kind of hec­tic – but the three points are the proof for the pub­lic that we’re still here.”

If Klopp’s boys were chuffed at the fi­nal whis­tle, Craig Shake­speare’s Foxes were in the dumps.

This fourth de­feat means they re­main two places above the drop zone, with only four points – their worst start to a top-flight sea­son since 1994-95.

In a mad­cap open­ing, Vardy was de­nied a sixth goal in four games against Liver­pool by Mig­no­let and then the re­bound was blaze wildly over by Riyad Mahrez.

Then when Emre Can smacked the post from 20 yards out, Salah some­how failed to fire into an open goal.

If Klopp feared such spurned chances would come back to haunt them – as had been the case in the Carabao Cup – he need not have wor­ried.

Two min­utes later, Liver­pool were ahead when Coutinho clipped a beau­ti­ful cross to the far post and Salah made amends with a deft header.

And that was the sig­nal for the Samba ace to as­sume con­trol of pro­ceed­ings.

Le­ices­ter’s fierce, press­ing ap­proach was al­ways likely to give away free-kicks in dan­ger­ous po­si­tions, which is ex­actly what oc­curred in the 23rd minute when Wil­fred Ndidi fouled Al­berto Moreno just out­side the box.

From there it was all about Coutinho’s ex­per­tise with the dead ball as he fired a quite stun­ning, curl­ing shot into the top cor­ner. De­spite a de­spair­ing dive, Den­mark keeper Kasper Sch­me­ichel stood no chance.

Le­ices­ter thought they had pulled a goal five min­utes be­fore half-time when a re­mark­ably tight off­side flag ruled out a sharp fin­ish from Shinji Okazaki.

How­ever, in time added on, the hosts’ en­ergy was re­warded as Liver­pool’s creaky de­fence again fell apart. Mig­no­let flapped at a cor­ner and when Harry Maguire bun­dled the ball back into the dan­ger, Okazaki man­aged to scram­ble it home.

Liver­pool play­ers were fu­ri­ous with the of­fi­cials for not award­ing a foul on their Bel­gium keeper – but re­ally that anger should have been di­rected at Mig­no­let.

In­evitably, the Foxes came out with guns blaz­ing in the sec­ond pe­riod – only for Jor­dan Hen­der­son to si­lence the home fans with a 67th-minute goal cre­ated by re­cently in­tro­duced sub Daniel Stur­ridge.

Yet as quickly they had re­stored the two-goal ad­van­tage, they then threw it away. Mig­no­let pushed De­marai Gray’s blis­ter­ing vol­ley straight to Vardy who headed in from close range.

Sec­onds later the Reds stop­per went from zero to hero with the trav­el­ling fans in a mad minute of con­tro­ver­sial ac­tion. He con­ceded a penalty when, in a race for the ball with Vardy, he sent the Le­ices­ter man fly­ing.

Hav­ing es­caped with only a yel­low card, Mig­no­let save Vardy’s firmly struck spot-kick away to his right.

Le­ices­ter boss Craig Shake­speare said: “I am strug­gling to digest this game. You come in and con­trib­ute to an­other fab­u­lous game of foot­ball but ul­ti­mately came away with noth­ing.

“Penal­ties are there and play­ers have missed them be­fore. Jamie will be gut­ted be­cause we would have come away with the points had he scored.”

PHIL TOPS THE BILL: Coutinho cel­e­brates his goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.