Josh fails to take his chance in bore draw

Daily Star Sunday - - RESULT! - By CHRIS DOU­GLAS

HIGH-FLY­ING Pre­ston were held in a game of few clearcut chances.

But the draw ex­tends Pre­ston’s un­beaten run to six Cham­pi­onship games and they were the side who came clos­est to break­ing the dead­lock with op­por­tu­ni­ties wasted ei­ther side of half-time.

Mill­wall, seek­ing their first away win at this level in 12 at­tempts dat­ing back to Fe­bru­ary 2015, had the first chance af­ter 13 min­utes as Ge­orge Sav­ille’s shot was par­ried by Chris Maxwell be­fore Steve Mori­son blazed over from 12 yards.

But they rarely threat­ened again.

North End boss Alex Neil said: “I thought it was a hard-fought game and I didn’t think there were a huge amount of chances for ei­ther side.

“There was one great op­por­tu­nity and we had it.

“It is prob­a­bly one of those games if you win 1-0 you are happy the game is done and you have the points.

“Mill­wall were al­ways go­ing to come and make it dif­fi­cult. Any game they have lost this year has been by one goal.

“The last thing we could do was to get com­pla­cent.

“It was a tough game and Mill­wall made it that way.”

The first half saw a num­ber of fouls from both sides which broke up any pat­tern of the game.

Af­ter 25 min­utes a set-piece broke to Daniel John­son but he skied his vol­ley high into the Mill­wall fans.

On the stroke of half-time, John­son slipped a pass through for Sean Maguire in­side the area but he sliced the ball into the side-net­ting from eight yards.

The best move of the match came from the hosts af­ter 53 min­utes when John­son slid Tom Barkhuizen in and his low cross found Josh Har­rop with an open goal but the for­ward could not get enough con­tact as he lunged at the ball from three yards.

Mill­wall boss Neil Har­ris said: “I was re­ally pleased with a point and de­lighted with a clean sheet.

“I’ve got to be hon­est with you, we weren’t great to­day and from the first mo­ment didn’t look like our­selves re­ally.”

JUST an­other In-Sane day at the Eti­had.

Ser­gio Aguero ticked one more goal off the hit­man chart to leave him two goals away from be­com­ing Manch­ester City’s most lethal striker.

And Pep Guardi­ola’s manic ma­raud­ers went goal-mad once more with an­other fa­mous five – this time against Crys­tal Palace.

That is now 22 goals in City’s last five matches.

And there is more. City are now un­beaten in 14 Premier League games as Ra­heem Ster­ling poached a dou­ble with man-of-the-match Leroy Sane, Aguero and sub­sti­tute Fabian Delph com­plet­ing the rout.

Guardi­ola, though, was not a happy bunny at half-time, kick­ing a chair on the way down the tun­nel.

Was it in frus­tra­tion? “No, it’s be­cause I don’t like the chair,” said the City boss – who also urged a ball­boy to get the ball back into play quicker.

“I got re­ally an­gry. We started good but af­ter that we for­got that the ball should be moved. Noth­ing is quicker than the ball and we train ev­ery day for that. In the sec­ond half we moved the ball quicker.”

Spare a thought, though, for point­less Palace and boss Roy Hodg­son. Af­ter hold­ing out for an ini­tial 44 min­utes it fin­ished as a pound­ing, not helped by the fact that they have gone 540 min­utes without a league goal.

By the end, Hodg­son was reach­ing for the med­i­ca­tion and said: “We kept them at bay

YES SER: Aguero stoops to head an­other goal ■

AB FAB: Delph com­pletes the rout with City’s fifth

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.