Chance to see behind the scenes in special places
Landmarks in East Kilbride will throw open their doors as part of a celebration of the country’s heritage.
Doors Open Days is Scotland’s largest free festival that celebrates heritage and the built environment.
It offers free access to over a thousand venues across the country throughout September every year.
The aim of Doors Open Days is to ensure that Scotland’s built heritage, new and old, is made accessible to people living and visiting the country.
In East Kilbride, the Old Parish Church on Montgomery Street will take part on Saturday, September 30, from 10am to 2pm.
The present B-listed building by James Pollock was completed in 1775 and the Scotch Belry Tower by Robert Pollock was added in 1818.
Behind the church is the Kirk yard where notable gravestones include the parents of William and John Hunter, the famous surgeons, and Rev James French, minister of the Old Parish Church (1791-1835), who was tutor to the young Walter Scott.
And the 18th century mausoleum of the Stuarts of Torrance family has recently been restored.
Meanwhile, between 12noon and 4pm on the same day, St Bride’s Church on Whitemoss Avenue – which has recently undergone a £2 million refurbishment – will be open for viewing.
The church was built between 1963 and 1964 by Gillespie, Kidd and Coia to a radical modernist design and is recognised for its architectural importance.