Dad ac­cused of ab­duct­ing boy, 6, was killed in cell

Evening Times - - NEWS - BY WILMA RILEY

THREE pris­on­ers ad­mit­ted killing a dad-of-two who was fac­ing trial for at­tempt­ing to abduct a sixyear-old boy. Craig Derrick, 31, Brian Laing, 27, and David Till, 33, at­tacked 47-year-old Dar­ren Brown­lie in a cell at Low Moss Prison in Bish­op­briggs on Jan­uary 6.

The High Court in Glas­gow heard Mr Brown­lie, who was on re­mand await­ing trial for at­tempt­ing to snatch the boy from a car in Spey Road, Bears­den, on June 25, 2019, was kicked and punched on the head and body.

Brown­lie was sum­moned to Derrick’s cell and the fa­tal at­tack in­volv­ing al three ac­cused took just 66 sec­onds.

Prose­cu­tor Paul Kear­ney said: “Mr Browlie had a num­ber of in­juries to his face and was bleed­ing heav­ily from his nose. He was ex­am­ined by a nurse who sus­pected he had bro­ken ribs.”

An am­bu­lance was re­quested at 5.28pm, but it was not un­til 10.13pm that paramedics be­gan treat­ing Mr Brown­lie, who was by then ly­ing un­re­spon­sive on the floor of the cell.

Dur­ing the al­most five hours it took to get med­i­cal help Mr Brown­lie was put in an ob­ser­va­tion cell and checked on by staff.

Mr Kear­ney said: “On a num­ber of oc­ca­sions Mr Brown­lie pressed the emer­gency buzzer in the cell and wit­ness Graham Bride heard him be­ing told by a mem­ber of staff ‘stop press­ing the f***ing buzzer. I’ve told you help is on the way’.”

Derrick, Laing and Till ad­mit­ted the cul­pa­ble homi­cide of Mr Brown­lie. They were orig­i­nally charged with mur­der, but their plea to a re­duced charged was ac­cepted by the Crown. Mr Brown­lie died from in­ter­nal bleed­ing.

Mr Kear­ney added: “Mr Wil­liam Tul­let, an ac­ci­dent and emer­gency con­sul­tant at Glas­gow Royal In­fir­mary said that in his opin­ion had he re­ceived timeous pre-hos­pi­tal treat­ment for his blood loss and trans­ferred to hos­pi­tal for surgery he would, sur­vived.”

The court heard a non-emer­gency call was made to the am­bu­lance ser­vice at 5.28pm.

An­other call was made at 7.36pm and a fur­ther one at 7.38pm say­ing it was an emer­gency. De­spite this it was not un­til 9.45pm that an am­bu­lance was as­signed to go to the prison. An am­bu­lance fi­nally ar­rived at the prison gates at 9.59pm and there was a de­lay in it be­ing ad­mit­ted. Mr Brown­lie died at 10.34pm.

Judge Lord Matthews de­ferred sen­tence on all three ac­cused un­til next month and or­dered back­ground and risk assess­ment re­ports. in all prob­a­bil­ity, have

The at­tack took place in Low Moss Prison in Jan­uary of this year

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.