SNOW JOKE FOR PUB REGULARS AS YOBS BURST IN WITH FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
A PUB was vandalised after youths burst in and set off fire extinguishers over customers.
Around a dozen pubgoers were in the Ancient Briton in Porthcawl on Sunday evening when two youngsters ran in “screaming and shouting” and setting off the two fire extinguishers.
The pub, staff and regulars were left covered in white powder, with the bar left needing a fourhour clean-up operation.
Pub landlady of around eight years Kristina Buffett, 46, of Porthcawl, said: “I’m sat at the bar with my back to the door, when the door opened and it sounded like a siren going off, but it was the people screaming.
“They let off the fire extinguishers and then the whole place looked like it was covered in snow.”
Kristina then ran behind the bar where her partner, Andrew Needs, was holding the pub quiz.
The mum-of-one added: “It just happened in seconds and then they were gone in seconds. There was a lot of screaming and shouting.
“The customers reacted in the same way that I did. They were just absolutely shocked.
“I have absolutely no idea why they would do this.”
Kristina believes the two youngsters who vandalised the pub on Clevis Hill were a boy and a girl.
The incident, which set off the fire alarm, happened at around 10.20pm.
Kristina said there were about 12 people in the pub at the time, with around six sat at the bar which was mainly covered by the extinguishers.
Police are also believed to be investigating two similar incidents which took place on The Portway and John Street recently.
One of the customers was Abi Ralph. The 31-year-old said: “Me and my friend Bethan were having a drink by the bar and then two people came in from nowhere and sprayed the fire extinguishers. We couldn’t see and I just grabbed my friend and ran out.
“We were just in a state of complete shock – we were petrified.”
She added that some customers were left covered in the white powder.
People in the pub attempted to chase after the pair, but they had left in a car parked outside.
Kristina said: “It’s so upsetting and frightening. I didn’t sleep at all last night.”
She added that she had never seen anything like it during her time as a landlady, and that the pub and area is generally quiet.
A South Wales Police spokeswoman said: “We were called to the Ancient Briton pub in Newton, Porthcawl, on August 12 at 10.15pm with reports that a couple of youths had sprayed a fire extinguisher on customers and staff inside the pub.
“We are also investigating two similar incidents which took place on The Portway and John Street last night.
“Anyone with information is asked to call 101 quoting reference 1800306344 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”