Gen up on Virgil Abloh, the man who’ll change the face of luxury…
– The Ghanaian-american designer was born in Chicago, Illinois. Attended Boylan Catholic School. Inveterate skateboarder, footballer and DJ. Studied civil engineering at the University of Wisconsin-madison. Received a Masters of architecture at the Illinois Institute of Technology.
– Kanye West ‘discovers’ Virgil, Djing under the (excellent) moniker Flat White.
– Virgil and Kanye intern at Fendi Roma, before launching Pyrex Vision with Deadstock logo-printed rugby shirts via a video lookbook that proclaimed ‘youth always wins’. Attends the Paris collections with Kanye, famously turned down for 40% of the shows they were requested to see.
– Art directs Jay-z/kanye West’s album Watch The Throne.
– Launches high-end streetwear brand Off-white, with the Hadid sisters and Kaia Gerber modelling for his show.
– Nominated for the prestigious LVMH prize.
– Releases 10-piece collab with Nike, which sold out. Collaborates with Levi’s, Moncler and Ikea. Wins Urban Luxe Brand at British Fashion Awards.
– Virgil named artistic director of Louis Vuitton menswear. According to Lyst, Off-white is the world’s 5th hottest brand behind Balenciaga and Gucci.
Clockwise from left: Virgil and Kaia Gerber; with Kanye; Bella Hadid on the Off-white catwalk; Virgil’s collaboration with Nike; with US Vogue’s Anna Wintour