Ti­tle hope­fuls Ryburn and Stump ‘nil’ foes

Halifax Courier - - Sport -

Ryburn United took full toll on an un­der-strength and flag­ging Shelf United side in their Haslem-Shep­pard Hal­i­fax AFL ti­tle quest. They thumped the vis­i­tors 100 last Satur­day, go­ing two up in two min­utes against op­po­nents weak­ened by ab­sen­tees on a stag trip and field­ing only three first team reg­u­lars.

It was 6- 0 at half time and Ryburn were ruth­less in front of goal while Shelf, play­ing their fourth game in eight days, fluffed the op­por­tu­ni­ties that came their way.

Chris­tian Silk­stone led the way for the win­ners with four goals and oth­ers came from Joe Swallow (two), Alex Austin (two), Lewis Brear­ley and Carl Maguire.

Ryburn were keen to boost their goal dif­fer­ence with ti­tle ri­vals Stump Cross hav­ing dropped the same num­ber of points.

But Stump made no mis­take in a po­ten­tial ba­nana skin fix­ture against Chal­lenge Cup fi­nal­ists Mid­g­ley United, win­ning 4-0 at Shroggs Park.

Tom Robin­son, Adam Bar­low, Kai Hadley and an own goal gave them a com­fort­able win - their fourth in 11 days.

Their task was aided when Mid­g­ley skip­per An­drew But­ter­worth was dis­missed for re­tal­i­a­tion to a bad chal­lenge on six min­utes.

Robin­son opened the scor­ing im­me­di­ately and Andy Wilkin­son’s at­tempted clear­ance then went into his own net. Hadley added a third af­ter 35 min­utes.

Mid­g­ley’s prob­lems mul­ti­plied when ‘keeper James Brooks dis­lo­cated a fin­ger, mean­ing their sole sub­sti­tute winger Ryan Jef­fries went in goal, and then Tom Booth pulled a ham­string.

The vis­it­ing nine play­ers bat­tled man­fully in the sec­ond half and re­stricted Stump to just one more goal from Bar­low’s low drive.

War­ley Rangers made hard work of beat­ing al­ready-rel­e­gated El­land United 4-2.

They ap­peared to be coast­ing at 3-0 but El­land scored twice in as many min­utes to set up a thrilling fi­nale be­fore a late Rangers goal killed off their hopes.

Rangers went close through Tom Hi­ley and Matthew Chap­man while El­land ap­pealed in vain for a penalty when Adam Goldthorpe ap­peared to be tripped.

Tom Hi­ley twice missed the tar­get be­fore Carl­ton Balmer swiv­elled and scored from Paul Ken­dall’s quickly-taken cor­ner.

Craig Smith’s fin­ger tip save to deny El­land’s An­thony Camp­bell was fol­lowed by War­ley’s sec­ond goal from vet­eran Ken­dall’s sweetly struck free kick.

Hi­ley grabbed the goal he de­served from Da­mon Ni­cholls’ pass be­fore a mo­ment of un­be­liev­able sports­man­ship from Camp­bell, who ad­mit­ted he had fallen in the area and the ref­eree over­turned his de­ci­sion to award a penalty.

Goldthorpe scored what ap­peared to be a con­so­la­tion goal with five min­utes left but it was game on when Brett Rhodes pow­ered in a header from a Martin Boon free kick.

El­land had the chance to equalise but a mis­take from the ‘keeper al­lowed Balmer to nip in and walk the ball into the net.

Heat of the battle: ac­tion from Satur­day’s game at Shroggs Park

Lift off for Mid­g­ley’s Greg Spink un­der pres­sure from Stump Cross’s Adam Bar­low Pic­tures: Bruce Fitzger­ald

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.