‘I will give fans all the an­swers’

O’Driscoll wants to set record straight on fu­ture of United

Harefield Gazette - - SPORT - By Matt Lewis matt.lewis@trin­i­tymir­ror.com

HAYES & Yead­ing United chair­man Tony O’Driscoll has thrown open the doors at Bea­cons­field Road for fans to get an­swers.

United are play­ing their foot­ball at Maiden­head’s York Road this sea­son as work has again stalled on their pro­posed new home.

Es­ti­mates have sug­gested it will cost around £500,000 to see the club re­turn to the bor­ough and far more to com­plete the con­struc­tion to the orig­i­nal spec­i­fi­ca­tion.

There has been spec­u­la­tion about the fu­ture of the Con­fer­ence South out­fit among sup­port­ers and O’Driscoll has moved to al­lay their fears by hold­ing an open fo­rum next Wed­nes­day.

He said: “On Satur­day I asked the fans to come down next week. I want to talk to them and give them the an­swers they are look­ing for.

“They can ask what­ever ques­tions they want. There is in­for­ma­tion be­ing spread around that is just wrong, so I will give them the op­por­tu­nity to get the truth from me.

“I’ve asked the man­ager to come down and all of the peo­ple that can help out an­swer­ing ques­tions, who­ever they may be.

“Any­thing they want to ask, they can ask. I’m sure they’ve all got ques­tions.”

While United con­tinue to strug­gle off the field, sig­nif­i­cant progress has been made on it after last sea­son’s dread­ful cam­paign.

Phil Babb’s boys were un­lucky to go down 2-1 to Con­fer­ence South pro­mo­tion hope­fuls Brom­ley at the week­end – Pat Cox net­ting their con­so­la­tion – and O’Driscoll is de­lighted with the im­prove­ment.

He added: “Brom­ley are one of the favourites and we gave a good ac­count of our­selves.

“I spoke to their man­ager af­ter­wards and he thought we were worth a point. Last sea­son we’d prob­a­bly have lost that game three or four-nil.

“We are do­ing much bet­ter and every­body is pleased. There are a few of the same play­ers from last year but some new ones have come in as well and added steel.

“We’re not giv­ing up early and we’re fight­ing un­til the fi­nal whis­tle. Last year, per­haps it got to 60 or 70 min­utes and we threw in the towel. You play a dif­fer­ent type of foot­ball when you’re down the bot­tom. We’re play­ing with a lit­tle bit of con­fi­dence now and it is psy­cho­log­i­cal.”

Mean­while, Hayes & Yead­ing, who are at Farn­bor­ough on Satur­day, have been drawn at home to Hor­sham in the FA Trophy thitd qual­i­fy­ing round on Novem­ber 29.

Else­where, Weald­stone, who beat Chelms­ford 2-0 in Con­fer­ence South on Mon­day thanks to El­liott Godfrey and Shaun Lu­cien strikes, will face ri­vals St Al­bans in the Trophy.

This week­end the Stones host Con­cord Rangers when Con­fer­ence spon­sor Va­narama visit their Ruis­lip home at Grosvenor Vale, of­fer­ing a fun­filled day of vu­vuze­las, mu­sic and the chance for fans to win a shirt-signed by the team. UXBRIDGE as­sis­tant boss Paul Mills reck­ons in­di­vid­ual er­rors are cost­ing them dearly in games after watch­ing the Reds knocked out of the FA Trophy by Did­cot Town on Satur­day, writes Toby Max­tone-Smith.

Kevin Warner looked to have snatched a 2-2 draw at the death only for match of­fi­cials to have ad­judged the ball had not crossed the line.

It left boss Tony Choules and his staff gut­ted at the fi­nal whis­tle as they crashed out of the com­pe­ti­tion at the sec­ond qual­i­fy­ing round.

Mills said: “From where we were it looked like it crossed the line, but we’re very far away and it’s tough with so many bod­ies in the box.

“The first two goals gave us a moun­tain to climb, but we feel hard done by. We’ve al­ways got goals in the side, but th­ese in­di­vid­ual er­rors are cost­ing us games.”

A clumsy Adam Pepera foul in the box gave the Ox­ford­shire side an early penalty, which John Mills con­verted.

Uxbridge found them­selves un­der the cosh and Did­cot dou­bled their lead cour­tesy of cap­tain Luke Car­nell, who was im­pres­sive all game at the heart of the vis­i­tors’ de­fence.

The sec­ond pe­riod cer­tainly sig­nalled an im­prove­ment, but when Dave Thomas was sent off for a sec­ond yel­low eight min­utes from time the game looked up.

How­ever, a Chris Moore tap-in then set up a thrilling cli­max.

And with almost the last kick of the game Uxbridge thought they had forced a re­play only for the of­fi­cials to have judged that the ball did not cross the line.

Hav­ing missed out on the £3,200 prize money for qual­i­fy­ing for the next round, Uxbridge’s fo­cus will now turn to South­ern Di­vi­sion One Cen­tral as they face Bed­worth United at home on Satur­day be­fore vis­it­ing Leighton Town on Tues­day night.

North­wood were also knocked out of the Trophy by a 2-1 score­line as Dave Lawrence’s late strike was not enough to save them against Wim­borne Town.

They are back to league ac­tion at the week­end at home to Chal­font St Peter and then travel to Bar­ton Rovers on Tues­day night.

AFC Hayes re­main bot­tom of the ta­ble after a 1-0 loss to Mar­low at the week­end and they head to Ayles­bury on Satur­day.

In the Spar­tan South Mid­lands Premier, Hare­field United suf­fered a 3-1 de­feat at the hands of Berkham­sted on Satur­day where Ben­jamin Porter grabbed their con­so­la­tion.

They were due to travel to Ampthill Town last night (Tues­day) and then visit Hadley on Satur­day and Lev­er­stock Green on Tues­day night.

In the same di­vi­sion, Hilling­don Bor­ough had no sched­uled game at the week­end and are at AFC Dun­sta­ble tonight (Wed­nes­day).

They then travel to Hod­des­don Town on Satur­day be­fore wel­com­ing Ampthill Town on Tues­day night.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.