Labrador dies after drink­ing an­tifreeze

Dev­as­tated owner warns oth­ers after dog drinks liq­uid left out in woods

Harefield Gazette - - FRONT PAGE - By Goolis­tan Cooper ed­i­to­ri­aluxbridge@trin­i­

A HEARTBROKEN dog owner be­lieves his pet Labrador died after drink­ing an­tifreeze while on a walk near Bay­hurst Woods.

David Shelvey said five-yearold Labrador Ol­lie was put to sleep days after con­sum­ing a slimy liq­uid placed in a dog bowl in the wooded area in Ruis­lip. He and part­ner Sarah Wel­burn sus­pect the sub­stance was left out to kill foxes and have put posters up to raise aware­ness.

Mr Shelvey, a printer from Ruis­lip, said: “Ol­lie was the cra­zi­est, friendli­est hap­pi­est dog in the world. He loved peo­ple, he loved his walks, he was full of life. It’s so sad.”

On Sun­day, Jan­uary 11 he had taken Ol­lie to the woods on a route that took them to the back of Ruis­lip Golf Course and along the bri­dle­way that runs be­tween Break­s­pear Road South and New Years Green Lane.

Mr Shelvey said: “He ran to a small clear­ing on a bank off the bri­dle­way. There was a dog bowl left out full of slimy sub­stance and he started drink­ing it. I was a lit­tle bit wor­ried, but thought it was dirty old wa­ter.”

How­ever, that night Ol­lie had to be let out re­peat­edly to go to the toi­let and started drink­ing large amounts of wa­ter.

Mr Shelvey added: “He started to vomit badly. He ap­peared drunk and his back legs started go­ing so I took him to the emer­gency vet in Northolt.”

At first staff felt there was lit­tle to worry about but then took a blood test.

Mr Shelvey said: “That’s when we knew we were in trou­ble. The tox­i­col­ogy re­port showed his kid­neys were pack­ing up.”

His med­i­cal re­port re­vealed Ol­lie had high lev­els of eth­yl­ene gly­col in his blood, a known poi­son to most an­i­mals and the main in­gre­di­ent in an­tifreeze.

His symp­toms were also con­sis­tent with an­tifreeze poi­son­ing.

The cher­ished pet stayed overnight, but on Tues­day, Jan­uary 13 at 4.30am, Mr Shelvey and his part­ner re­ceived a call to re­turn to the vets im­me­di­ately and Ol­lie was put to sleep at 5am.

When Mr Shelvey re­turned to the spot that day, where Ol­lie had in­gested the sub­stance, the bowl had van­ished.

Now the cou­ple, who had

Owned Ol­lie since he was eight weeks old, want to en­sure other dog own­ers avoid Ol­lie’s fate. Mr Shelvey said: “We think it was an­tifreeze left out to kill foxes and bad­gers. So we’ve spent the past few days try­ing to cre­ate aware­ness about what hap­pened. We’ve put up posters and been in touch with a lot of dog own­ers.”

Ar­den House An­i­mal Hos­pi­tal in Pem­broke Road, Ruis­lip had this ad­vice for an­i­mal own­ers: “If you are con­cerned in any way about your pet or if you sus­pect that your pet has had ac­cess to an­tifreeze, please con­tact your lo­cal vet im­me­di­ately as an­tifreeze poi­son­ing is of­ten fa­tal.”

n POI­SONED: Ol­lie the Labrador with owner Sarah Wel­burn and in­set, the no­tice warn­ing other dog own­ers

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.