Antifreeze poisoning may have killed pet dog Molly
Terrier became unwell after a daily walk around Ruislip Lido
A DEVASTATED family from Ruislip believe their dog may have fallen victim to a spate of antifreeze poisonings in the area.
Nine-year-old Molly died shortly after one of her daily walks around Ruislip Lido just before Christmas.
Now her owners and dog walker believe she was poisoned, after reading recent reports in the Gazette.
Owner Becky Wilson, mum of Sid, seven, and Leonard, two, said: “You read the stories about antifreeze and it makes you think. It makes you wonder. We will never know 100 per cent what happened to Molly, but it looks like it is antifreeze poisoning.”
The black and white Staffordshire bull terrier was being taken on one of his daily walks by neighbour and friend Jean Woolf on December 19.
But following a lap of the lido and swim, Molly seemed unwell when she returned to Ms Woolf ’s home. She took the pet to Miss Wilson and they booked an appointment at Arden House Vets, Ruislip that evening, where Molly was kept overnight.
At around midnight, Miss Wilson received the shock news that her dog had died.
She said: “The vet said it was some sort of toxins or poison but couldn’t tell us more unless there were further tests, which we didn’t go for because I thought it wasn’t going to bring her back.”
Ms Woolf said she is certain the dog was a victim of the antifreeze poisoning which recently claimed the life of five year-old labrador Ollie after he went for a walk in woods near the Lido.
She said: “We didn’t know anything about the symptoms at the time, but after I read about Ollie and the symptoms of antifreeze poisoning, they absolutely 100 per cent applied to Molly.”
Hillingdon Council has put up notices around the Lido drawing dog walkers’ attention poisoning.
It is also urging people to report suspected cases to police, something Ms Woolf did on Tuesday, February 10.
She said Molly was in fine form during her walk, running ‘like a little greyhound’, but appeared listless, agitated and tired after their one-hour stroll.
She said: “I’m so upset, this is so, so sad. It’s just horrible. She was as much my dog as theirs – Becky would tell me that. They’re devastated, she was an integral part of their family.”
Miss Wilson has had to explain the loss of Molly to her two children. She said: “My two-year-old asks where Molly had gone, and my older one had a few moments and asked questions. But it was me and my partner Mark who bawled our eyes out.
“We had Molly nearly a decade. She wasn’t ready to go, she was fit and healthy. This is a horrible tragedy.”
n DEVASTATED: Molly died soon after a walk around Ruislip Lido