Am­bu­lance can­celled

Mother of burned child shocked at treat­ment

Harefield Gazette - - NEWS -

had for­tu­itously ar­rived, chased up the am­bu­lance only to be told it had been re-de­ployed.

The mother said: “We weren’t told it had been can­celled. It just didn’t show up. All this time my daugh­ter was scream­ing and scream­ing and a layer of skin had come off her arm.

“She was ab­so­lutely hys­ter­i­cal. I couldn’t drive her any­where, I couldn’t even call her dad to tell him what had hap­pened be­cause she was cling­ing on to me and not let­ting me go.”

The pan­icked mum rushed to Wood Lane Med­i­cal Cen­tre, only to find it closed early. She then went to nearby Boots, also in Wood Lane, where staff helped.

Un­der or­ders from the chemist, they called 999 and were told paramedics would be at the scene within an hour.

How­ever, af­ter 45 min­utes of fran­tic wait­ing they called again, only to be told an am­bu­lance would not be at­tend­ing the scene.

The mum said: “I was pet­ri­fied. I couldn’t be­lieve that I couldn’t get any help.”

Even­tu­ally, her hus­band was able to get back from work and drive his child to hos­pi­tal. They fi­nally

TJG1ST re­ceived the med­i­cal at­ten­tion at around 7pm – over two hours af­ter be­ing told the first am­bu­lance was on its way.

The baby was seen straight away but ini­tial con­cern she had sec­ond de­gree burns proved false and they were later di­ag­nosed as su­per­fi­cial. The child now goes to the burns unit at Chelsea and West­min­ster Hos­pi­tal twice a week to have her wound treated.

The mother said she later found an LAS mes­sage on their land­line can­celling the sec­ond am­bu­lance. Uxbridge and South Ruis­lip MP John Randall was shocked to hear what had hap­pened in his con­stituency. He said: “This sounds very un­sat­is­fac­tory in­deed, and very up­set­ting and con­cern­ing.

“I would be very in­ter­ested to hear what the Lon­don Am­bu­lance Ser­vice has to say to the fam­ily.”

An LAS spokes­woman said the am­bu­lance was called to their ad­dress but di­rected to a more ur­gent in­ci­dent. They at­tempted but were un­able to con­tact the mother. She said: “We are sorry for any in­con­ve­nience we may have caused but we al­ways pri­ori­tise pa­tients in a se­ri­ous or life-threat­en­ing con­di­tion.”

n PAIN: The child's scolded arm af­ter two am­bu­lances failed to ar­rive

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.