Fam­ily homes need to house chil­dren

Harefield Gazette - - OPINION - MRS E PEARCE Kent

I LIVED in a three-bed coun­cil house in Yiewsley for 24 years.

When my chil­dren, now 30 and 27, had their own chil­dren, they each ap­plied to Hilling­don Coun­cil for hous­ing for them­selves and their fam­i­lies.

They were both told that there was no so­cial hous­ing in the bor­ough and they had to find their own ac­com­mo­da­tion.

They are now pay­ing ex­or­bi­tant rents to pri­vate land­lords. In fact, my daugh­ter has been given no­tice to quit her home as the land­lord wants to sell the flat. On a re­cent visit to the coun­cil of­fices with her ‘no­tice to quit’, she was once again ad­vised that there is no so­cial hous­ing and she has again to find her own pri­vate rented ac­com­mo­da­tion.

This ob­vi­ously in­volves find­ing a de­posit and ad­vance rent.

When I de­cided to move home and give my house back to the coun­cil, my daugh­ter asked if she could take over the ten­ancy.

She was told she did not qual­ify for three bed­rooms as she only had one child. My son then asked if he could take over the ten­ancy as he has two chil­dren, a girl and a boy. He was told he did not qual­ify as his chil­dren aged seven and two were too young to need sep­a­rate bed­rooms.

I would like to know why the three bed fam­ily home I va­cated has been given to two young sin­gle men.

Why has it not been used to house a fam­ily? I think it is scan­dalous that my chil­dren find them­selves in the sit­u­a­tion they are in, while two young men are al­lowed to oc­cupy a three bed house.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.