Man ar­rested in sus­pected ar­son at­tack

Cause of fire is un­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion

Harefield Gazette - - NEWS - By Kather­ine Cle­men­tine

TWO men were res­cued from a first-floor flat in Hayes in a sus­pected ar­son at­tack last week.

Emer­gency 999 fire brigade con­trol of­fi­cers stayed on the phone to one of the trapped men un­til fire­fight­ers ar­rived at the maisonette, in Stratford Road, on Thurs­day morn­ing last week.

They gave him “vi­tal sur­vival ad­vice” and helped him calm down by telling him to put blan­kets by the door and open a win­dow.

Around half of the first floor of the maisonette was dam­aged by the fire and the roof slight dam­age.

Po­lice were called by the Lon­don Fire Brigade at around 5.15am and re­quested po­lice as­sis­tance as they be­lieved it to be sus­pi­cious.

A Metropoli­tan Po­lice spokesman said: “We ar­rested a 20-year-old man in­side the prop­erty on sus­pi­cion of ar­son.

“Lon­don Am­bu­lance Ser­vice also at­tended and the sus­pect along with a 42-year-old man were taken to hos­pi­tal to be treated for smoke in­hala­tion.”

Lon­don Fire Brigade watch man­ager Paul Alden, who was at the scene, said: “Fire­fight­ers wear­ing breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus en­tered the

suf­fered front of the build­ing and res­cued one man from in­side the maisonette us­ing an in­ter­nal stair­case.

“Fire crews used a lad­der at the back and brought the other man from the win­dow ledge down to safety.

“Af­ter the two men had been res­cued, the fire was quickly brought un­der con­trol.”

Three fire en­gines and 14 fire­fight­ers and of­fi­cers from Southall and Hilling­don fire sta­tions at­tended the in­ci­dent. The brigade was called at 3.50am and the fire was un­der con­trol within an hour. The cause of the fire is un­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion by LFB and de­tec­tives from Hilling­don CID.

n DAM­AGE: The maisonette on Stratford Road which was set alight last week

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.