Hor­ri­fied to find a live cock­roach in pizza box

Harefield Gazette - - FRONT PAGE - By Kather­ine Cle­men­tine kather­ine.cle­men­tine@trin­i­tymir­

A YIEWSLEY cou­ple were shocked to find a wrig­gling cock­roach in their Pizza Hut take­away.

Chay Watts and Cara Pow­ell, were tuck­ing into their large Half & Half pizza when they had the nasty sur­prise on Tues­day.

The pair col­lected the boxed pizza from the Yiewsley High Street branch of Pizza Hut and walked the short dis­tance to their home to eat it.

Mr Watts, 27, said: “I started eat­ing it. I was half way through my slice and my son had started eat­ing his slice.

“I just looked at the cor­ner of the box and saw there was a cock­roach grip­ping onto a bit of pineap­ple.

“My mis­sus grabbed one of the lit­tle plas­tic things you get in the box, touched it with it, and its legs started mov­ing so it was still alive.”

Cock­roaches are one of the most com­mon house­hold pest in­sects and can pas­sively trans­port mi­crobes on their body sur­faces, in­clud­ing some po­ten­tially dan­ger­ous to hu­mans.

The pair were dis­gusted at the sight and im­me­di­ately rang the res­tau­rant on Tues­day evening.

Mr Watts said: “I felt sick and an­noyed, as you can imag­ine, so I rang Pizza Hut.

“They apol­o­gised, said they’d send a driver to come and col­lect the box and the bug and that they’d come and bring a new pizza.

“It took the driver an hour to come and they re­placed the pizza and gave us a tub of Haa­gen Dazs on the house.

“They didn’t seem that both­ered to be hon­est they just said ‘oh sorry about that’ and said the best they could do was give us another pizza, but I don’t want to eat from there again.”

Mr Watts, a newly qual­i­fied tat­tooist, has since con­tacted Trad­ing Stan­dards and Pizza Hut’s head of­fice.

He added: “I’m wor­ried about my son get­ting ill. Cock­roaches carry a lot of germs.”

A Pizza Hut De­liv­ery sp o ke sp e r s o n said: “Health and safety is of the ut­most im­por­tance to Pizza Hut De­liv­ery and we are com­mit­ted to main­tain­ingi ii high stan­dards in all our branches.

“We regularly carry out in­de­pen­dent in­spec­tions and only last week this par­tic­u­lar branch was found to have a good stan­dard of hy­giene.

“We are in the process of con­duct­ing a thor­ough in­ves­ti­ga­tion into this mat­ter but are con­fi­dent that this is an iso­lated in­ci­dent and that there is no risk to our cus­tomers.”

n ‘SICK AND AN­NOYED’: Cara Pow­ell and Chay Watts were shocked to find a live cock­roach in their take­away from Pizza Hut. Left, The cock­roach hitched a ride on a take­away pizza

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.