Kitten Milo is sew lucky after eating needle
Vet removes object from oesophagus
A CURIOUS eight-month old kitten was operated on after swallowing a needle and thread in front of his owner.
Milo the kitten is now recovering at his home in Hayes End, with owners Caroline Shervill, daughter Summer and Caroline’s mother Penny, after vets removed the sewing needle and 30cm of thread from his stomach.
Milo had pulled the needle and thread out of Penny’s hand as she was about to sew on a button.
He then climbed onto a cupboard and looked her in the eye before chewing and swallowing the needle and 30 centimetres of thread in front of her.
Caroline says Milo is proving to be an ‘adventurous’ cat, as he was already recovering from having sliced open one of his back paws.
She said: “The needle mishap happened on Thursday May 26.
“I had left for work but had only gone a few stops on the bus when my mum rang me to tell me what he had done.
“I got off the bus and got home as quickly as I could – I checked his mouth but couldn’t see anything so put him straight in his carrier and took him to the vet.”
Dr Hazel Lee, vet at Goddard Veterinary Group in Hayes End, X-rayed Milo and could see the needle and thread lodged in his oesophagus.
She said: “It was essential to remove e them immediately y because the needle could have caused serious and potentially fatal internal injuries to his intestine.
“The operation went well and he should soon be back to his normal self.”
Caroline and her family were ‘so upset’ when they realised the potential danger Milo was in, particularly as it came me so soon after his previous accident.
She added: “He had been stuck indoors while recovering from that so perhaps he was getting bored and that’s why he was tempted by the needle and thread.
“We’re relieved to see him recovering well and will be keeping needles well out of his way from now on!”
n RELIEF: Caroline and Summer Shervill with vet Dr Hazel Lee and a recovering Milo; (right) the needle and thread