Terror alerts may be sent by text
LONDONERS could be alerted by mobile if there is a terror scare in new safety measures recommended by a report to protect the capital.
The proposal to introduce public text message alerts emerged from a major report launched on Friday October 28, which examined London’s readiness to deal with a terror attack amidst fears of the capital’s safety.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan appointed Lord Toby Harris of Haringey to undertake the review as an early step towards protecting the capital following the attacks in Paris and Brussels. Although recent measures have already been put in place to combat the threat, including armed police travelling on the Tube, the report mentioned another 127 recommendations which could make the response to terrorism faster.
Lord Harris urged the government to consider other changes, including:
CCTV to be installed on all underground and mainline trains and more accessible emergency services in an emergency
The introduction of a new MOPAC (Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime) adviser on counter-terrorism
The Home Office to fully fund the National and International Capital Cities Grant (NICC), which currently costs the Metropolitan Police approximately £340 million a year
The Department of Health should provide extra resources to the London Ambulance Service
Security measures on the river Thames to be strengthened
Last week, the Metropolitan Police, British Transport Police and emergency services dealt with a potential threat on a Tube train, a stark reminder that the threat level in London remains at ‘severe’, which means an attack is highly likely.
Lord Harris said: “A serious terrorist attack remains highly possible and we cannot be complacent.
“London needs to become a city where security and resilience is designed in and is part of the city’s fabric, and where everyone who lives and works here sees security and resilience as their responsibility, just as much as it is for the emergency services and civic authorities.”
Mr Khan said the recommendations deserve careful consideration over the coming months.
He said: “I am extremely grateful to Lord Toby Harris, who has produced a significant, in-depth piece of work.
“His findings and events in the last week remind us what a fantastic job our police officers and emergency services do every day to keep us safe.”
A formal response to the Lord Harris Review will be published in due course.
WARNING: London Mayor Sadiq