It’s cold outside, pet
Can you give an animal a loving home and a new start in life?
ICE, Ice Baby! Leaving the house this morning at 5.45 my heart sank. A thick layer of ice on my windscreen and all the usual paraphernalia for dealing with it locked in the shed! So out came the trusty CD case and I scraped away, trying not to disturb the neighbours, until it was gone. Lesson learned, I’ll be getting more organised tomorrow (or maybe the day after….)
My car was serviced recently so I know the antifreeze was topped up, I don’t keep it around the house (although I have a couple of bottles of cheap white wine which might work – does anyone else remember Austrian wine being adulterated with Diethylene Glycol, a constituent of antifreeze, in 1985?) not least because it is very toxic to animals.
The sweet smell is apparently what attracts them and although it has a very unpleasant aftertaste some cats find it almost addictive.
Keep pets safe Accidental poisonings from spills/ leaks, as well as leaking water coolant from cars happen every year, leading to pet death. Regularly check your car to ensure it isn’t leaking water coolant. Take care storing, using and disposing of antifreeze and water coolant. Most accidental deaths are avoidable.
Always keep antifreeze in clearly labelled, robust, sealed containers, away from pets and their environment.
Clean up spills immediately, no matter how small. Ensure pets cannot access the area until it’s clean and safe.
Always dispose of antifreeze and water coolant safely and responsibly. Contact your local authority for advice; see www.direct.gov.uk and ‘search for your local council in England’ on the home page.
Try and find antifreeze that contains propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol, it’s much less toxic.
If you suspect your pet has come into contact with antifreeze, leaked water coolant or if showing any of these symptoms get them to a vet immediately: Vomiting Seeming depressed/sleepy Appearing drunk and uncoordinated Seizures (fits) Difficulty breathing Signs of antifreeze poisoning can show 30 minutes after ingestion. It can be two/three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.
The sooner your pet receives veterinary treatment, the better their chances of survival. If left untreated, antifreeze poisoning can cause pain, suffering and distress and ultimately death. So please, take care.
You can find lots of really useful pet care information at: www.rspca. org.uk
If you think you could offer a forever home to any of the cats and kittens we currently have in our care then please call (020) 8966 9688 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can see pictures of many of the other animals (budgies, rats, rabbits, cats & kittens) in our care on our Facebook page https://www. facebook.com/RSPCAMNW Don’t forget you can follow us on twitter too @RSPCAMIDDLESEX
Our shops are now selling Christmas cards and calendars along with a range of sparkly Christmas pin badges which make brilliant stocking fillers and are a must for the office party!
HELLO: RSPCA rescue cats seeking adoption this autumn