Jailed for blow­ing up cash ma­chines

Got away with £120,000 in cash

Harefield Gazette - - NEWS - By Lois Swin­ner­ton lois.swin­ner­ton@trin­i­tymir­ror.com

FOUR men have been jailed af­ter blow­ing up cash ma­chines across Lon­don, in­clud­ing one in Uxbridge.

The gang tar­geted nu­mer­ous ATMs in west Lon­don in­clud­ing in Har­row and Twick­en­ham.

The Met­ro­pol­i­tan Po­lice said it was sheer luck that no passers by were in­jured as a re­sult of the ex­plo­sions, some of which hap­pened at petrol sta­tions.

The men pumped gas into the ma­chines and trig­gered the ex­plo­sion with an elec­tri­cal charge.

How­ever, on some oc­ca­sions, the of­fend­ers were forced to leave empty handed, as whilst ex­ten­sive dam­age was sus­tained by the prop­erty hous­ing the ma­chine, they could not get to the cash.

De­tec­tives first launched an in­ves­ti­ga­tion af­ter a to­tal of £120,000 was stolen fol­low­ing a se­ries of 10 bur­glar­ies at cash ma­chines over the course of one month be­tween Au­gust 9 and Septem­ber 8.

Fol­low­ing nu­mer­ous en­quiries and the re­lease of CCTV footage, all four mem­bers of the gang were ar­rested on Septem­ber 8 in con­nec­tion with five bur­glar­ies and five at­tempted bur­glar­ies at 10 cash ma­chines in petrol sta­tions and shops.

“This crime net­work caused a se­ries of large ex­plo­sions in petrol sta­tions and it was by sheer luck that no un­sus­pect­ing mem­bers of the pub­lic were in­jured as they passed by,” said de­tec­tive in­spec­tor Mark Bed­ford of the Met Po­lice.

“There has been sub­stan­tial in­con­ve­nience caused to lo­cal com­mu­ni­ties who rely on the ser­vices of the ATMs and also ex­ten­sive dam­age to small busi­ness prop­er­ties es­ti­mated to be in ex­cess of £200,000.”

Trevor McCarthy, 43, of Barlby Road in Lad­broke Grove was one of the four men in­volved, and he was sen­tenced to 10 years and eight months be­hind bars.

Ray Abra­ham, 36 of Ho­bart Drive, Hythe, Southamp­ton was sen­tenced to 11 years and four months im­pris­on­ment, 36-yearold Daniel Dorkin of Bay­nard Close, Bas­ingstoke, Hamp­shire was given 11 years be­hind bars and 40-year-old Gary Mills of Fleet­wood Close, Chal­font St Giles, Buck­ing­hamshire was sen­tenced to 10 years and eight months in prison.

All four men pleaded guilty to con­spir­acy to steal, con­spir­acy to com­mit crim­i­nal dam­age and reck­less­ness en­dan­ger­ing life on Tues­day De­cem­ber 20 at Kingston Crown Court.

Po­lice ad­vise any­one who wit­nesses a cash ma­chine in­ter­fer­ence, to re­main a safe dis­tance away from the ATM and call 999.

CON­VICTED: The four men jailed at Kingston Crown Court. From left to right: Trevor McCarthy, Daniel Dorkin, Ray­mond Abra­ham and Gary Mills

DAM­AGE: De­stroyed ATMs in Twick­en­ham and in Uxbridge (left)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.