Harefield Gazette - - FRONT PAGE - By MAX HALL tms-sport@trin­i­tymir­ @lyetown­max

HAYES & Yead­ing United gave lead­ers Chip­pen­ham Town a run for their money on Sun­day but an in­jury-time win­ner for the vis­i­tors – com­bined with St Neots’ win over Red­ditch less than 24 hours ear­lier – pulled up the safety lad­der from the Hol­loways Park side.

St Neots’ win lifted the Cam­bridgeshire side six points clear of third-from-bot­tom United, who are now look­ing to reel in fifth-from-bot­tom Kings Lan­g­ley in the Evo-Stik South­ern League Pre­mier.

The lat­ter have a three-point – and 11-goal – ad­van­tage over United but Ritchie Han­lon and Paul Hughes’ side had a game in hand ahead of the sched­uled visit of Wey­mouth las­tast night (Tues­day) and Satur­day’s trip to Big­gleswade.

And the United man­agers will have had an eye on re­sults else­where last night with Kings Lan­g­ley set to o host a fourth­from-bot­tom Cam­bridge City side oc­cu­py­ing thee fi­nal rel­e­ga­tion berth be­fore play­ing at home to Strat­ford Town on Satur­day.

There were rea­sons to be op­ti­mistic for Unit­eded on Satur­day with new sign­ing Ra­monea­mone Rose mark­ing his de­but with the open­ing goal in first-hal­falf in­jury time to prompt hopes of an up­set against the lead­ers.

Rose had started arted in lively fash­ion, go­ing closee with two head­ers in the open­ing five min­utes be­fore his break­through from the edge of the D as half-time ap­proached.

United hopes were lifted higher as keeper Danny Boness pushed away a David Pratt penalty in the 51st minute and An­thony Edgar hit the post for the hosts as United more than held their own, but Wil­liam Richards hit an equaliser seven min­utes from time and Pratt was not to be de­nied, pounc­ing to claim the win­ner in the first minute of added time. There was still time for United sub­sti­tute Dy­lan Kear­ney to fire wide four min­utes later but the game ended in a sec­ond de­feat in five days, af­ter the event­ful 2-1 loss at Dorch­ester last Tues­day that deep­ened United’s rel­e­ga­tion fears. Jake Maw­ford had given Dorch­ester the lead af­ter just 70 sec­onds on a heavy pitch be­fore Edgar won and con­verted a penalty for the equaliser 10 min­utes be­fore half time. With United’s Con­nor Toomey play­ing out the game de­spite be­ing sick on the pitch at half-time, Edgar ap­peared to be fouled on the edge of the Dorch­ester area in the 56th minute only to be sent off by the official for a per­ceived of­fence and the 10-man vis­i­tors were un­able to find a way back.

Jon Mikol BE170248

Hayes & Yead­ing United’s An­thony Edgar was con­tro­ver­sially dis­missed against Dorch­ester

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.