‘Ut­ter mad­ness’


Harefield Gazette - - FRONT PAGE - IS­ABEL DOBIN­SON is­abel.dobin­son@reach­plc.com Twit­ter: @is­abel_­dobin­son

WIT­NESSES, in­clud­ing a 17-yearold school girl, have de­scribed “aw­ful” scenes of nu­mer­ous youths “stamp­ing and kick­ing each other” as Uxbridge town cen­tre de­scended into “chaos”.

The busy high street be­came a scene of a mass fight in­volv­ing around 70 young peo­ple, some al­legedly wear­ing lo­cal school uni­forms at about 5.30pm on Mon­day evening (Septem­ber 10).

The vi­o­lence led to one shop lock­ing its doors in re­sponse to a young per­son run­ning away to es­cape a larger group, Met­ro­pol­i­tan Po­lice con­firmed.

Ac­cord­ing to mul­ti­ple wit­nesses, the vi­o­lence which be­gan out­side Clarks shoe store in the High Street, quickly de­scended into “stamp­ing and kick­ing”.

The area be­came a “dis­per­sal zone” af­ter Met­ro­pol­i­tan Po­lice is­sued a Sec­tion 35 or­der to ar­rest any­one re­fus­ing to leave or re­turn to the area.

The force has since con­firmed there have been no ar­rests and no re­ported in­juries fol­low­ing the brawl.

An anony­mous passer-by claims a “swarm” of peo­ple at­tempted to smash down a shop door while one man “looked like he was about to pass out” af­ter be­ing “re­peat­edly stamped on”.

“I was stand­ing out­side Pri­mark hav­ing a cig­a­rette and I looked over to where Clarks near the phone box,” getwest­lon­don was told by a wo­man who asked not to be named.

“There was just a swarm of them stand­ing in a crowd, then the crowd started shout­ing and moved to­wards Clarks’ doors where one girl who looked like she’d been in a fight was pulled out by se­cu­rity, then the fight broke out again.

“Who­ever they were af­ter must have ended up in Clarks be­cause they were try­ing to smash the doors down to get in there.”

She added: “Then I saw a man stand up and get dragged back down where they re­peat­edly stamped on him.

“He got up and looked like he was about to pass out. Se­cu­rity got him into the shop next to Clarks.

“One of them saw I was on the phone to the po­lice and ac­cord­ing to my part­ner said about rob­bing my phone.

“Once the fight­ing had stopped they all started to sep­a­rate to dif­fer­ent parts of Uxbridge - a group went and stood near KFC, a group out­side Tesco and the rest were scat­tered around all over the place and then when po­lice came in that di­rec­tion they ran to­wards Uxbridge train sta­tion, some went down Windsor street and some car­ried on As if to go up to the civic cen­tre.”

An­other anony­mous lo­cal de­scribed how his 17-year-old daugh­ter wit­nessed the bru­tal brawl.

“My daugh­ter went with a friend to Uxbridge she said as they were about to go into Pri­mark and her friend had bumped into some­one she knew who said there was a fight but it was all over,” he ex­plained.

“So off they went into Pri­mark but when they came out she said there was two girls ar­gu­ing with a group around them, as they started fight­ing the group was shout­ing ‘stand back stand back.’

“Then she said all of a sud­den they were all fight­ing stamp­ing on each other she said it was aw­ful.”

A Met­ro­pol­i­tan Po­lice spokesman pre­vi­ously said: “A dis­per­sal zone has been au­tho­rised in Uxbridge town cen­tre, to pre­vent anti-so­cial be­hav­iour and vi­o­lence with in­jury.

“This has been granted by In­spec­tor Har­ris and is in place from 5.40pm on Mon­day, Septem­ber 10, un­til 5.39pm on Wed­nes­day, Septem­ber 12.

“Sec­tion 35 of the An­ti­so­cial Be­hav­iour, Po­lice and Crime Act 2014 al­lows a po­lice of­fi­cer of at least the rank of In­spec­tor to au­tho­rise a dis­per­sal zone for up to 48 hours.

“Once au­tho­rised, a con­sta­ble in uni­form may, un­der cir­cum­stances, di­rect a per­son to leave the area, in whole or in part, and di­rect the per­son not to re­turn for up to 48 hours.”

It was added at around 7.20pm: “At this stage all of the groups have been dis­persed.

“One store was closed briefly in re­sponse to one youth run­ning away from a larger group - he ran into the store.

“Some of­fences were com­mit­ted but they are be­ing dealt with separately.”

It was later con­firmed no ar­rests were made and there were no re­ported in­juries.



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.