‘Lovely evening’ ended with a hideous beat­ing


Harefield Gazette - - NEWS - SAM CORBISHLEY & CHRIS BALLINGER ed­i­to­ri­aluxbridge@trin­i­tysouth.co.uk

A JEAL­OUS pub land­lord was jailed for bat­ter­ing his fi­ancée fol­low­ing a night out en­joy­ing a Harry Pot­ter-themed meal.

Erhan Sahin dragged his part­ner Joyce Hope out of bed and “smacked her against the wall” in a drunken rage as she pleaded with him to stop at The Three Steps pub , which he ran on Cow­ley High Street, in Uxbridge.

The 29-year-old was sen­tenced at the Old Bai­ley on Tues­day Septem­ber 4 af­ter a jury found him guilty of as­sault oc­ca­sion­ing ac­tual bod­ily harm (ABH) and as­sault by beat­ing.

The cou­ple had been out in cen­tral London to catch a mati­nee show fea­tur­ing one of Ms Hope’s friends be­fore mak­ing their way to the JK Rowlin­gin­spired din­ner on Oc­to­ber 13, 2017.

The court heard they clashed when Ms Hope, 24, told him she wanted to go home and Sahin re­sponded by say­ing he pre­ferred to stay out drink­ing.

As Ms Hope went home by her­self, Sahin bom­barded her with text mes­sages telling her they were over, ac­cus­ing her of leav­ing hand-in-hand with a strange man and threat­en­ing to let her puppy loose when he got back.

She wept in the wit­ness box as she re­called be­ing wo­ken up by her rag­ing part­ner wear­ing only his box­ers and pum­melling her face so hard she spat out one of her teeth.

“I didn’t recog­nise my­self in the mir­ror,” Ms Hope said of the beat­ing.

Erhan Sahin was jailed af­ter at­tack­ing his fi­ancée Joyce Hope at The Three Steps pub, in Uxbridge

Sahin in­sisted he had been act­ing in self-de­fence af­ter be­ing “at­tacked” by Ms Hope.

Dur­ing an in­ter­view with a pro­ba­tion of­fi­cer ahead of sen­tenc­ing, Sahin main­tained his in­no­cence, re­peat­ing his claims that he had merely de­fended him­self.

De­spite ad­mit­ting he had been jeal­ous af­ter he be­lieved he saw Ms Hope hold­ing hands with a mys­tery man and jump­ing into a taxi with him, some­thing she de­nied from the wit­ness box, Sahin claimed it had not led to him be­com­ing vi­o­lent.

Giv­ing ev­i­dence about the lead-up to the at­tack Ms Hope said: “I had a lovely evening with him, and it was lovely, but I wanted to go home be­cause I was feel­ing tired but he wanted to stay out drink­ing.”

She said she “pleaded” with Sahin to go home with her, but when he re­fused she said she used the re­main­ing money in her bank ac­count to pay for a taxi home.

“On the jour­ney [home] I got very drunk, abu­sive texts say­ing ‘we’re over, we’re done’,” she added.

“He was say­ing he had seen me walk­ing hand-in-hand with an­other man and that he was go­ing to let my puppy loose when he got home so good luck find­ing him.” “There was blood ev­ery­where” The jury was told Ms Hope went to bed but was wo­ken up by Sahin “smack­ing her against the wall” and he “threw her out of the bed”.

Ms Hope said: “I was shout­ing ‘please stop’ but he wouldn’t.

“He was wear­ing noth­ing but his box­ers and with each hit I was telling my­self ‘don’t let him knock you out’.

“On one hit my lower jaw col­lided with my side and broke my tooth. I spat that out.

“I grabbed him and squeezed as hard as I could, but he wouldn’t stop. There was blood ev­ery­where.

“He fi­nally stopped when his mother came in.”

Ms Hope told ju­rors how Sahin’s mother spoke with her son in Turk­ish be­fore mov­ing to clean up the blood as her son left.

Pros­e­cu­tor Alun Evans told the court that af­ter the at­tack Sahin “ap­par­ently drove to Ms Hope’s mother’s home say­ing that he was go­ing to kill him­self ”.

Mr Evans added: “When the de­fen­dant re­turned to the pub­lic house he apol­o­gised to Ms Hope say­ing he would never hurt her again.”

How­ever, the court heard he re­fused to take his blood­ied and bruised part­ner to hos­pi­tal, leav­ing his fa­ther and sis­ter to do it in­stead.

Sahin met Ms Hope met when she went to see a friend’s band play at his pub in Oc­to­ber 2016.

Ju­rors heard Ms Hope grew con­cerned and halted their re­la­tion­ship when Sahin turned up unan­nounced at her home as she cel­e­brated Christ­mas Day that year with her par­ents.

How­ever, her friends per­suaded her to give the “nice guy” an­other chance early in the New Year and she moved in with him at the pub in around April 2017.

Mr Evans said it soon be­came ap­par­ent to Ms Hope that Sahin was “grow­ing more and more jeal­ous at her see­ing male friends”.

“He’d go through my iPad and look at my mes­sages on Face­book,” Ms Hope added, be­fore go­ing on to de­scribe how she had to get rid of the so­cial me­dia app al­to­gether.

“It was just caus­ing too much trou­ble be­tween us and I wanted to save our re­la­tion­ship,” she said.

She agreed to marry Sahin when he pro­posed to her in Au­gust 2017 at a restau­rant as they dined with her fam­ily.

The court heard the cou­ple had pre­vi­ously fallen out fol­low­ing a petty ar­gu­ment af­ter a fit­ness class on Oc­to­ber 5, 2017, just days be­fore the bru­tal at­tack.

Ms Hope told the jury on that oc­ca­sion that she “got a lit­tle bit of water in a bot­tle and as a joke threw some water on him”.

She added that he “didn’t see it as a joke” and called her a “dick­head and a f***ing waste­girl” be­fore punch­ing her in the eye.

Ms Hope told the court she was “too scared” to re­port that in­ci­dent due to fears Sahin might lose his li­cence to run the pub, along with the home he shared with his par­ents and sib­lings.

The court was told a prison sen­tence may lead to Sahin los­ing the pub he has run for the last seven years and which houses him and his fam­ily.

But Judge Rebecca Poulet QC said prison was the only op­tion and sen­tenced him to nine months in jail.

Erhan Sahin was jailed af­ter at­tack­ing his fi­ancée Joyce Hope at The Three Steps pub, in Uxbridge

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.