Hayes & Harlington Gazette - - FRONT PAGE -

UXBRIDGE kicked off their 70th an­niver­sary with a bonus point 24-17 win at Old Isleworthians – mak­ing it three out of three in Herts/ Mid­dle­sex 2.

In the open­ing ten min­utes, Uxbridge saw the ma­jor­ity of the ball, which brought great re­wards as James Mal­ve­nan crossed over in the cor­ner, af­ter a strong pas­sage of play from the Uxbridge backs cre­ated the over­lap for the try.

Up stepped Ieuan Jones for the kick, but he nar­rowly pushed the ball wide of the posts leav­ing score at 5-0 to the vis­i­tors.

Af­ter the restart, Old Isleworthians started to come in to force with the Uxbridge set pieces not go­ing to plan.

This caused Isleworthians to force their way up just out­side the 22, where their fly-half took the ball and ran through the Uxbridge back line to score un­der the posts.

Isleworthians took the lead af­ter the fly-half swiftly con­verted the try to make it 7-5.

How­ever, the Isleworthians try seemed to spur Uxbridge on as they worked their way into the hosts’ 22 where Mal­ve­nan again broke through be­fore be­ing tack­led five me­tres out from the try line where the Old Isleworthians flanker was pe­nalised for not rolling away.

Uxbridge tried to take the quick tap to dart over the line but the pe­nalised flanker tripped the Uxbridge player, caus­ing him to pick up a yel­low card and spend ten min­utes in the bin.

De­spite the ex­tra man ad­van­tage, Uxbridge were un­able to break through the Isleworthians de­fence.

Al­most straight af­ter Isleworthians were re­stored to the full 15, out­side cen­tre Tom Rainey went over the try line for Uxbridge, af­ter yet another out­stand­ing team move from an Uxbridge set piece.

This time Ieuan Jones con­verted the try, mean­ing Uxbridge went into the half-time in­ter­val lead­ing the hosts 12-7.

It had al­most seemed that the half­time in­ter­val came at the wrong time for Uxbridge as pres­sure from Isleworthians saw them truck up into the Uxbridge half. Here Isleworthians won a penalty which the skip­per con­verted, leav­ing Old Isleworthians only two points be­hind at 12-10.

From the restart, Uxbridge man­aged to re­tain the ball af­ter a mis­take from an Isle­wor­thian player who dropped the ball in the treach­er­ous weather.

As the pass­ing storm blew over Uxbridge seemed to re­gain the up­per hand as se­cond row Mark Coles went over in the cor­ner af­ter another well worked team move.

How­ever, Jones was un­able to add the ex­tra points, leav­ing Old Isleworthians still within one score of the vis­i­tors with it stand­ing at 17-10.

As time went on, Isleworthians seemed to be gain ground on Uxbridge and had a long spell in­side the Uxbridge 22.

Sean McAn­drew then picked up a yel­low card and even though Isleworthians had a one-man ad­van­tage they were un­able to con­vert the pres­sure with a try be­fore Uxbridge cleared their lines.

The pres­sure was not fully re­lieved and the Old Isleworthians’ quick winger sprinted down the five-me­tre chan­nel to score.

With the op­por­tu­nity to level the scores, the Isleworthians fly-half stepped up and con­verted the try to tie up the scores at 17-17.

It had seemed that the game was go­ing to end in a draw un­til in­side cen­tre Marc Pin­zon danced through the Isleworthians backs to score out wide and give Uxbridge the bonus point win to kick off the sea­son.

Ieuan Jones fin­ished off the game with the con­ver­sion from out wide, giv­ing Uxbridge all five points.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.