Hayes & Harlington Gazette - - FRONT PAGE -

BOBBY WILKIN­SON de­clared it a “bad day at the of­fice” as Weald­stone suf­fered more away day mis­ery, at Con­cord Rangers.

The Stones slipped to a 3-1 de­feat in Can­vey Is­land with Khale Da Costa’s 25-yard curler giv­ing the Beach­boys a first-half lead be­fore Ben Green­halgh scored a penalty five min­utes into the se­cond half. Ed­die Os­hodi re­sponded but Harry Lee wrapped things up on 90 min­utes with his first Con­cord goal.

“I don’t think we turned up, I wasn’t very im­pressed with my back four, we con­ceded sloppy goals, had a cou­ple of chances here and there you should take, but over­all it was a bad day at the of­fice,” said Stones boss Wilkin­son. “I’m very proud of the boys over the last few weeks, but that [against Rangers] just wasn’t good enough. There was a lack of qual­ity, lack of ur­gency, lack of de­sire, I don’t think we pressed as we nor­mally do, I thought we looked tired, which wound me up a bit.

“I apol­o­gise to ev­ery­one travel- ling, I can’t thank you enough for fol­low­ing us week, in week out. I’m re­ally frus­trated with that. [per­for­mance]”

Both sides made first-half chances. Steve Caw­ley flicked a header wide in­side 10 min­utes be­fore Con­cord keeper Louis Wells made smart stops to deny Dan Fitch­ett and Ciaron Brown.

Danny Green al­most net­ted a spec­tac­u­lar 30-yard first-time strike but Wells ac­ro­bat­i­cally tipped it over and the ref­eree in­di­cated a goal kick with the hosts tak­ing the lead from the next pas­sage of play.

Green gave away the ball to Da Costa in the mid­dle and the goalscorer burst for­ward, beat­ing Brown, and bent an un­stop­pable ef­fort past a grounded Jonathan North in the Weald­stone goal.

The Stones ral­lied and Green’s de­liv­ery from cor­ners was pos­i­tive with Matt Day and Os­hodi both head­ing wide from flag-kicks af­ter Con­cord’s opener.

Just be­fore half time, Fitch­ett missed a sit­ter af­ter Abobaker Eisa made a burst­ing run and his strike from the edge of the box was spilled by Wells into the path of Fitch­ett who, from a yard out, some­how hit the post.

Just five min­utes into the se­cond half Os­hodi need­lessly felled Green­halgh, who coolly dis­patched the penalty.

Os­hodi atoned eight min­utes later, Con­cord fail­ing to clear a Stones set-piece and the ball bounc­ing for­ward for Os­hodi to slot past Wells.

The right-back al­most added an­other two min­utes later ex­pertly bring­ing down Brown’s cross, only to shoot across goal.

Con­cord set­tled and Weald­stone rarely threat­ened as the hosts wrapped the game up. Sub Femi Ak­in­wande crossed and Brown got a toe on it but only played it into Lee’s path.

Re­sults, how­ever, went in Weald­stone’s favour with the gap to lead­ers Dart­ford re­main­ing seven points. The Stones host Win­gate & Finch­ley in the FA Tro­phy on Satur­day.

Ciaron Brown went close for Weald­stone in Satur­day’s de­feat to Con­cord Rangers Les Wil­liams BE172366

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.