Joe’s Kapow Pavlovas
I f you’ve been blasting out those burpees (or even if you haven’t), you deserve a treat. Joe Wicks – aka The Body Coach – has got you covered with a cheeky recipe from his new book, Joe’s
30-Minute Meals (Bluebird, £20), which is a little bit naughty but all kinds of nice.
Mini Strawb Pavlovas
● 4 eggs, whites only ● 200g caster sugar ● ½ tsp white wine vinegar ● 1tsp cornflour
● 400g strawberries, stalk removed and berry cut into thin slices (pound-coin thickness) ● Juice of ½ lemon ● 3tsp icing sugar ● 400ml double cream ● 3 digestive biscuits
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºc (fan 160ºc/gas mark 4). Whisk the egg whites until light and fluffy, and able to hold their own weight.
2. Add 1tbsp of sugar and whisk for 30 secs before adding another. Continue this process, ensuring you don’t add more than 1tbsp at a time. Give the mix a whisk until all the sugar is used up and the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
3. Add the vinegar and the cornflour and whisk again for 2-3 mins to make sure the ingredients are mixed together. When you are happy, dollop six large mounds of meringue onto a flat baking tray lined with non-stick baking parchment. Using the back of a spoon, push the centre of each mound down to create a nest.
4. Slide the nests into the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 100ºc (fan 80ºc /gas mark ¼). Leave the nests to cook for 30 mins, then turn off the oven to cool. Meanwhile, mix the strawberries and lemon juice in a bowl, then sieve over the icing sugar.
5. Leave to sit until you’re ready to eat. Before serving, whisk up the double cream until it’s thick enough to hold its own weight.