Derby show­down proves tough for YM

Huddersfield Daily Examiner - - FRONT PAGE -

of a line-out to again send Swet­man over the line for a try which he again con­verted.

YMCA had their mo­ments but couldn’t crack the home de­fence, be­ing de­nied on a cou­ple of oc­ca­sions by good tack­ling.

Cleck­heaton were un­lucky not to score yet an­other try be­fore half­time, but led 14-6 at the break.

The sec­ond half con­tin­ued with Cleck­heaton driv­ing the ball up­field while the YM were try­ing to spin it wide.

It was only a mat­ter of time be­fore YMCA’s de­fence was breached and Cleck­heaton full-back James Wil­son was on hand to go through a gap­ing hole to score and Swet­man added the ex­tras.

YMCA ral­lied when their man-ofthe-match Sam Hodge charged down an at­tempted kick out of de­fence and al­lowed the YM to gain good field po­si­tion.

From a neat move Stead came into the line at the right an­gle to throw the de­fence off bal­ance and he scorched over the line to get a well earned try.

Stead also added the con­ver­sion to give the visi­tors some hope at 21-13.

Swet­man stead­ied Cleck­heaton al­most from the restart he kicked a penalty which YMCA had con­ceded for in­ter­fer­ing with the ball at the ruck.

Cleck­heaton lost sec­ond row Ryan Piercy for 10 min­utes af­ter he had been ad­judged to have used a swing­ing arm in the tackle, but the visi­tors couldn’t take ad­van­tage of their su­pe­ri­or­ity.

Both sides con­tin­ued to probe look­ing for gaps and even­tu­ally Cleck­heaton were awarded a penalty af­ter YMCA were pulled for backchat to the ref­eree.

They kicked for touch and se­cured the line-out be­fore re­leas­ing the ball down the line leav­ing sub­sti­tute Ro­nan Evans as the man to fin­ish the move with the fi­nal try of the game – thereby se­cur­ing the home side a bonus point for scor­ing four tries.

Swet­man added the ex­tras to take the fi­nal score to 31-13.

“It has brought a new vibe to the squad, which has been great. It is quite nice, ev­ery­one learn­ing from each other.

“We have been to­gether two weeks now, and we will ob­vi­ously have a good look at that (Aus­tralia) game and pull it apart. I think there is a lot to be ex­cited about.”

Wales were ul­ti­mately un­done by three first-half tries and poor de­fen­sive exit strate­gies, yet the sec­ond pe­riod proved in stark con­trast as they outscored the Wal­la­bies and a grand­stand fin­ish beck­oned un­til vis­it­ing full-back Kurt­ley Beale claimed a con­tentious break­away try.

“I think it is a start­ing point,” Ball added. “There were some er­rors in our 22 that prob­a­bly cost us the game.

“I don’t think there was a big dif­fer­ence be­tween the two of us (teams), just a cou­ple of er­rors that got us on the wrong side of the score­board.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.