Early burst proves enough for Field

Huddersfield Daily Examiner - - FRONT PAGE -

crash over near the posts. Scrum half Joel Hinch­liffe added two more points with the con­ver­sion.

With the bonus point se­cured the home side found them­selves de­fend­ing in the sec­ond quar­ter.

A penalty kick to touch took the vis­i­tors into the Hud­der­s­field half and some good tack­les and turnovers were pro­duced to keep them at bay.

On the half-hour Hud­der­s­field counter-at­tacked well. With the Tigers pe­nalised at the break­down, ref­eree Woods re­versed his de­ci­sion when hooker Fran­cis En­tres­sen­gle joined it with a swing­ing arm and he fin­ished the half in the sin-bin.

With half-time ap­proach­ing winger Danny Grainger and lock Adam Malt­house both came close to scor­ing, be­fore Hud­der­s­field skip­per Alex Bat­tye and Tigers No.8 Frank Wragg were sent to join En­tres­sen­gle in the bin af­ter an al­ter­ca­tion be­tween the pair.

Deep into stop­page time an­other fine break by Mor­rill led to a sec­ond try for Thomp­son, which Work­man con­verted from wide out, bring­ing an end to an en­ter­tain­ing 40 min­utes of rugby.

The Tigers started the sec­ond pe­riod in deter­mined mood, go­ing on to pro­duce a clas­sic game of two halves.

Hav­ing held con­tin­u­ous pos­ses­sion in the open­ing min­utes the league’s lead­ing try-scorer Jamie Broadly added to his tally, round­ing off a fine move in the cen­tre.

On 50 min­utes, with all 30 play­ers back on the park, Hud­der­s­field’s re­place­ment flanker Ben Hoyle took up one of the va­cant seats in the sin­bin af­ter ref­eree Mr Woods flashed his yel­low card for the fourth and fi­nal time.

Tigers pressed strongly and came close shortly af­ter Hoyle’s de­par­ture, and when Hud­der­s­field were pe­nalised the re­sult­ing li­ne­out led to their sec­ond score.

The ball was taken well at the throw-in and a well-con­structed maul was set up be­hind it. With the ball se­curely at the rear hooker Tom Coates peeled off for the try af­ter a steady drive to­wards the line.

Al­though Hud­der­s­field didn’t add to their tally in the sec­ond half, they did have their mo­ments.

On three oc­ca­sions they pro­duced very dy­namic breaks but each time, when things looked promis­ing, they lost pos­ses­sion in con­tact.

The bonus point win leaves Hud­der­s­field in a solid sixth place in the ta­ble with only two games re­main­ing.

Hud­der­s­field YMCA won 42-26 in their North One East clash at North­ern RUFC. Match re­port in to­mor­row’s Ex­am­iner.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.