Fire spread to fan and kitchen units

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Waste Collection Latest -

Fire­fight­ers tack­led a blaze at home in Kingsnorth last Thurs­day (July 11) af­ter a pan, heat­ing oil, was left unat­tended.

Crews were called to a house in Cen­tu­rion Walk, in Park Farm, just be­fore 8pm by a res­i­dent who had heard a fire alarm in a nearby house.

It is be­lieved the home­owner had left a pan of oil on the hob unat­tended, which then caught alight.

The fire spread to the ex­trac­tor fan above the hob and the kitchen units. The rest of the house suf­fered smoke dam­age.

Ash­ford watch man­ager Mark Thomas, who at­tended the scene, said: “We man­aged to quickly bring the blaze un­der con­trol be­fore re­mov­ing smoke from the home with a pos­i­tive pres­sure ven­ti­la­tion fan.

“A nearby res­i­dent called us af­ter hear­ing a smoke alarm sound­ing in the prop­erty. Given the speed in which the fire was be­gin­ning to spread, there is lit­tle doubt that with­out their ac­tions this in­ci­dent had the po­ten­tial to be­come far more se­ri­ous.” No one was hurt in the in­ci­dent. Now, fire­fight­ers are call­ing for home­own­ers to take ex­tra care in the kitchen.

Mark added: “While ac­ci­dents can and do hap­pen I would urge any­one cook­ing with hot oil to stay at the hob, and if you do need to leave the kitchen, en­sure you take the pan away from the heat source.

“This in­ci­dent also shows just how im­por­tant it is to fit and main­tain work­ing smoke alarms on ev­ery floor of your home.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.