‘I didn’t know when we won. I was a bit out of it’

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Www.kentonline.co.uk/cricket - By Alex Hoad

Bren­dan Nash re­vealed he was obliv­i­ous to Calum Haggett’s match-win­ning bound­ary af­ter an epic in­nings of 199 to steer Kent to the brink of vic­tory.

The Aus­tralian-born for­mer West Indies in­ter­na­tional was forced to re­tire due to heat ex­haus­tion while on 199 and with Kent just 21 runs short of their vic­tory tar­get at Chel­tenham on Satur­day.

He was shrouded in wet blan­kets and ice packs as Haggett cracked the fi­nal ball for four to spark joy­ous scenes, al­though Nash ad­mit­ted: “I didn’t know ex­actly when we won. I was a bit out of it.

“I was ly­ing on the bench with a wet towel over my head.”

He added: “It’s noth­ing I’ve ever re­ally ex­pe­ri­enced be­fore. I was dizzy with slight blurred vi­sion.

“The rea­son I didn’t come off ear­lier was that I was only re­ally fac­ing one or two balls an over, get­ting a sin­gle and then let­ting Tred tak­ing the rest.

“It wasn’t bad but then to­wards the end I was fac­ing two and three and I be­gan to feel like a boxer on the ropes. I was not feel­ing the best.

“The umpire thank­fully made a good de­ci­sion and called (Kent physio Nimmo Reid) onto the field.

“The umpire said ‘ you don’t look so great’ and called him on. I col­lapsed to my knees. I sort of fell as I walked to­wards him.”

The 35-year-old was only eight runs shy of his high­est first class score, and a run away from a place on the club’s hon­ours board for a dou­ble cen­tury. How­ever, he re­vealed: “I didn’t know I was that close. Tred kept telling me in be­tween overs how many we needed but I couldn’t re­ally fo­cus on the score­board, so I didn’t bother.

“I couldn’t phys­i­cally swing the bat that well so I

‘I be­gan to feel like a boxer on the ropes. I was not feel­ing the best’

don’t know how much use I was go­ing to be out there any­way.

“I was close to go­ing to hos­pi­tal. Nimmo wanted me to but be­ing a Satur­day night it was dif­fi­cult to get in and af­ter 20 min­utes of re­hy­dra­tion and ly­ing down in the dark, I was back with it. ”

Nash had been side­lined by a side strain for the pre­vi­ous three weeks – a spell which he be­lieves con­trib­uted to his col­lapse.

He said: “It maybe was a com­bi­na­tion of ev­ery­thing – I haven’t played in those con­di­tions for a while, I’d had three days of it be­fore, it was the first game back from a three-week lay-off, we spent the first day and a half in the dirt and the tense­ness of the game.

“I was just men­tally shot but thank­fully we got over the line.

“It was a fan­tas­tic ef­fort from ev­ery­one. We stayed pos­i­tive and put them un­der pres­sure at the end of the day.

“I’m glad ev­ery­one could play a part in it.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.