Life-chang­ing in­juries for cou­ple

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Horror Smash - By Tricia Jamieson

The cou­ple have spo­ken of the dev­as­tat­ing ef­fect on their lives of the crash.

Mark and Carol Web­ster, from Bethers­den, suf­fered se­ri­ous in­juries when they were trapped in their burn­ing Mini.

Mrs Web­ster had a bro­ken leg, bro­ken arm, dis­lo­cated el­bow and head in­juries while her hus­band had a bro­ken wrist and ribs.

She was in hos­pi­tal for three weeks, in a wheel­chair for three months and still is in con­stant pain over a year af­ter the crash.

Mr Web­ster, 52, was off for work for six weeks.

He said: “It has been lifechang­ing for us. Af­ter the crash, my first thought was that we were lucky to be alive.

“At least we are still here and are still able to do most things.”

Mrs Web­ster, 47, has been un­able to re­turn to work since the ac­ci­dent at 2pm on Sun­day, June 8, 2014.

She had jobs in out­door pur­suits and at the time of the crash was a ground crew mem­ber for a hot air bal­loon com­pany.

“I am in pain all the time, which is very wear­ing,” she said. “I am still not right but if I had not been so fit, I don’t think I would have re­cov­ered as I have.”

Com­ment­ing on the ver­dict, Mrs Web­ster said: “Maybe the roads are a bit safer for now. She is off the road and has to take a driv­ing test.

“She made a driv­ing er­ror. I hope she un­der­stands what she did wrong so she can­not do it again – I hope she un­der­stands why the crash hap­pened.”

The Web­sters were driv­ing home from the su­per­mar­ket when Sharp pulled out in front of them.

Both were trapped in the wreck­age, Mr Web­ster by his jammed seat belt and Mrs Web­ster by her legs. It was 35 min­utes be­fore any emer­gency ser­vices ar­rived.

The cou­ple were helped by passersby in­clud­ing a mo­tor­cy­clist who put out the fire in their car with a fire ex­tin­guisher.

Mr Web­ster, who works in pro­cure­ment for food firm Brakes in Ash­ford, was freed first when fire crews and am­bu­lances ar­rived.

His wife was cut out of the wreck­age and was flown to St Ge­orge’s Hos­pi­tal in Lon­don where she stayed for three weeks. When she was dis­charged home, she spent three months in a wheel­chair

The break to her leg was se­vere and she has had to un­dergo a num­ber of oper­a­tions.

Both are still re­ceiv­ing treat­ment for their in­juries, and Mr Web­ster has dif­fi­cul­ties walk­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.