Poi­son fear on green as fam­ily pet nearly dies

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - New Approach At Primary - By Ai­dan Bar­low

A re­tired cou­ple fear their dog may have been de­lib­er­ately poi­soned by lax­a­tives af­ter it suf­fered crip­pling di­ar­rhoea.

Jenny and Tony Blunt, of Cop­per­field Close, By­brook, take their dog Flo for a walk at the green in Gras­mere Road in Ash­ford sev­eral times a day.

But af­ter walk­ing there in the sum­mer they spot­ted the three­year-old Jack Rus­sell was un­well and took her to the vets.

Mrs Blunt, 65, a for­mer men­tal health oc­cu­pa­tional ther­a­pist, said: “I took her for a walk up at the green early one morn­ing.

“She had re­ally bad di­ar­rhoea. We didn’t panic too much at first, we just thought it was some­thing she had eaten, so we took her to the vets.”

Mr Blunt, 62, a re­tired NHS mi­cro­bi­ol­o­gist, said Flo was checked and was about to be taken home when her con­di­tion de­te­ri­o­rated.

He said: “We went home in the car, but by the time we had got back there the car was awash. It was like a tap which you couldn’t switch off. It was ev­ery­where. I called the vets and took her straight back, and she had to spend another five nights there.”

Mrs Blunt said Flo was so ill that she very nearly died, and had to make an in­sur­ance claim for more than £1,000 for vet costs fol­low­ing what hap­pened in July.

She said: “It was hor­ren­dous, I’ve had dogs all my life and I’ve never seen a dog as ill as that. She had lost so much weight, she couldn’t eat and couldn’t drink and was on a drip at the vets.

“When I was in there I was chat­ting to another lady who said there had been a dog with sim­i­lar symp­toms af­ter walk­ing there. They were able to get a clip­ping of the fur which showed there was the lax­a­tive.”

Tony and Jenny Blunt’s dog Flo was se­ri­ously ill at the vets for five days with di­ar­rhoea

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.