Blues lose their way in Trail­find­ers rout

Macclesfield Express - - MOTORS -

NA­TIONAL LEAGUE ONE EAL­ING.......................... 73 MAC­CLES­FIELD .......... 15

MAC­CLES­FIELD trav­elled to table­top­ping Eal­ing Trail­find­ers this week­end and found it ev­ery bit as tough as many ex­pected.

With a vastly su­pe­rior play­ing bud­get, Eal­ing have won each of their seven games and only once failed to col­lect a bonus point.

Their spend­ing power saw them chalk up 73 points and were never in any dan­ger of let­ting their 100 per cent record slip.

The Blues went down early on as the hosts launched a quick­fire counter at­tack from debu­tant Tom Mor­ton’s kick­off.

Eal­ing shifted the ball wide quickly and were a try ahead with just mo­ments played.

Just two min­utes later, the home side dou­bled their lead and as­serted them­selves at the scrum, al­low­ing Eal­ing num­ber eight and cap­tain Danny Kenny to go in un­der the posts, seem­ingly un­chal­lenged.

With 10 min­utes on the clock, Mac­cles­field seemed to have set­tled into the game and were putting some good pres­sure on the league’s front run­ners.

The Blues were then given a penalty ad­van­tage by the ref­eree and used it wisely. Mor­ton, who signed from Sale on a dual reg­is­tra­tion dur­ing the week, put a won­der­ful grub­ber kick in be­hind the de­fence for El­liot Bri­er­ley to pounce on.

Mor­ton con­verted the score to make it 14-7.

Eal­ing re­sponded almost im­me­di­ately as their cen­tre split the Blues’ de­fence and went in un­der the posts, restor­ing their 14-point lead.

Although Mac­cles­field en­joyed large spells of pres­sure in Eal­ing ter­ri­tory they failed to come away with many more points, some­thing which the hosts made them pay for with three quick­fire tries in the last 10 min­utes of the half.

Mor­ton did pull three points back from a penalty but Mac­cles­field went in at the break 38-10 in ar­rears.

It took 10 min­utes of the sec­ond half for the first score, the Trail­find­ers pack tak­ing charge at the li­ne­out and bull­doz­ing over for another score.

Ten min­utes later the Eal­ing for­wards again as­serted them­selves of the Macc pack by forc­ing a penalty try from the scrum.

Five min­utes later, Mac­cles­field showed good character to pull a try back for them­selves as El­liott Mil­lar-Mills jumped onto a loose ball in the Eal­ing dead ball area, his score mak­ing it 52-15.

Trail­find­ers re­sponded im­me­di­ately to this Mac­cles­field score by adding two tries of their own to add another 14 points to their tally for the day.

With almost the last play of the game, Eal­ing com­pleted their im­pres­sive dis­play with a good team try to make it 73-15 at the fi­nal whis­tle.

Eal­ing showed why they top the league and look cer­tain to be head­ing back to Cham­pi­onship come the end of this Na­tional One sea­son.

Matt Rat­cliffe

●● A try by El­liott Mil­lar-Mills was scant con­so­la­tion for Mac­cles­field as they were de­feated at Eal­ing

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.