Third time lucky for road war­riors

Macclesfield Express - - MOTORS -

NA­TIONAL LEAGUE ONE TYNEDALE ................... 20 MAC­CLES­FIELD .......... 22

MAC­CLES­FIELD trav­elled to the North East of the coun­try for the third and fi­nal time of the sea­son to play sec­ond-bot­tom Tynedale and they re­turned home with their sec­ond win of the sea­son.

A hard-fought and some­what scrappy game was de­cided by the boot of Tom Mor­ton, who kicked a penalty late on to snatch the vic­tory for the trav­el­ling Blues.

The young fly-half marked his se­lec­tion for the Un­der-20 Six Na­tions cham­pi­onship by hold­ing his nerve to slot the three points and seal vic­tory.

It had taken 15 min­utes for the first score of the game, which went to the hosts against the run of play.

The Blues had con­trol of pos­ses­sion deep in Tynedale ter­ri­tory but a loose ball was hacked up the pitch by their winger and he pounced to open the scor­ing.

Another 15 min­utes passed be­fore the next score and un­for­tu­nately for the Blues it again went to the hosts, this time a well-de­served score built on strong set-piece play at the li­ne­out. The backs then moved the ball wide to se­cure their sec­ond score, but it was un­coverted, leav­ing Mac­cles­field 12 points be­hind.

The Blues man­aged to get a try of their own five min­utes be­fore the break.

After a long pe­riod of pres­sure on the line, sec­ond rower David Mar­wick picked from the back of a ruck and crashed over for a 12-7 score­line at the half-time break.

But the Blues al­lowed Tynedale to re­store their lead with the fi­nal play of the half, missed tack­les al­low­ing them to breeze in and make it 17-7.

Macc got off to a blis­ter­ing start in the sec­ond half, as winger and lead­ing try scorer Matt King crossed in the cor­ner for his 12th of the sea­son after more strong phase play.

A penalty on the hour put Tynedale 20-12 ahead as the game went through a par­tic­u­larly scrappy pe­riod, with both sides cough­ing up pos­ses­sion.

Yet, with the er­ror,s came a lot of scrum­mag­ing and a dom­i­nant Mac­cles­field pack meant the hosts looked to be tir­ing the quicker of the two sides.

In the 74th minute, King scored his sec­ond of the game. After kick­ing the ball in be­hind the de­fence, he tasked him­self with a foot race against his op­po­site winger.

King man­aged to beat him to the ball by a fin­ger­tip to get the score, Mor­ton’s con­ver­sion mean­ing the Blues trailed by one point with a lit­tle more than five min­utes to play.

After some ner­vous pe­ri­ods of pos­ses­sion, Tynedale coughed up a penalty 35 me­tres out, from where Mor­ton stepped up and split the posts to make it 22-20 with no time for the hosts to re­spond.

Pic­tures: Do­minic Sal­ter

●● Dave Mar­wick (above) got Mac­cles­field’s scor­ing up and run­ning but it was Tom Mor­ton (be­low) who held his nerve right at the end to kick the match-win­ning penalty

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.