Trans­plant pa­tient, 27, died af­ter biopsy

Macclesfield Express - - FRONT PAGE -

A BELOVED son and boyfriend died af­ter a rou­tine hos­pi­tal pro­ce­dure to help pre­pare him for an ur­gent dou­ble trans­plant, an in­quest heard.

James Aaron Warrington, 27, was born with a liver dis­ease called bil­iary atre­sia and un­der­went a liver trans­plant when he was seven, the hear­ing at Macclesfield Town Hall was told.

But the trans­plant later be­gan to fail and he be­gan to de­velop health prob­lems. The court heard James was be­ing as­sessed for a lung and kid­ney trans­plant when he con­tracted a spine in­fec­tion, pre­vent­ing the op­er­a­tion from go­ing ahead. But four days af­ter a rou­tine biopsy to help doc­tors clear the in­fec­tion, he suf­fered in­ter­nal bleed­ing and died.

The in­quest heard that James, of Swanscoe Av­enue, Bolling­ton, would give him­self dial­y­sis at home and was hop­ing to be put on the wait­ing list for a trans­plant.

When an­tibi­otics failed to shift an in­fec­tion a biopsy was car­ried out at Sal­ford Royal Hos­pi­tal on Tues­day, March 25.

This meant tak­ing a sam­ple of tis­sue for anal­y­sis to de­ter­mine which an­tibi­otics would clear up his in­fec­tion.

But af­ter the biopsy James, who was a fab­ric printer at RA Smart in Bolling­ton, suf­fered in­ter­nal bleed­ing.

The in­quest heard he be­came in­creas­ingly un­well and in the early hours of Satur­day, March 29, he col­lapsed at home and was taken to Macclesfield Hos­pi­tal.

Ef­forts to save him failed and he was pro­nounced dead.

His girl­friend Kelly Far­nell told the in­quest he’d had biop­sies be­fore and knew what it en­tailed.

She said: “Af­ter the biopsy he started to have re­ally bad pain. On Fri­day he slept most of the day. He was still in pain and seemed drowsy.

“James woke me up at 1am and said he needed to go to the toi­let. He said he felt dizzy. couldn’t get him up the stairs, then that was it.”

Coro­ner Dr Janet Napier said James died due to a haem­or­rhage af­ter a biopsy. She said other health prob­lems in­clud­ing his fail­ing liver trans­plant con­trib­uted to his death.

Dr Napier said: “James died due to com­pli­ca­tions fol­low­ing a nec­es­sary sur­gi­cal pro­ce­dure in con­junc­tion with nat­u­ral dis­eases. It’s ter­ri­bly sad at such a ten­der age.

““Un­for­tu­nately his liver and kid­ney failed and he was go­ing for a trans­plant. We have heard about the in­fec­tion in his spine was very hard to treat.

“The time clock was tick­ing for the trans­plant and it was ur­gent. They needed to know how to tai­lor his treat­ment.

“No-one ex­pected this to hap­pen. He wasn’t com­fort­able af­ter the biopsy but didn’t think it was an in­ter­nal bleed. He wasn’t some­one who com­plained for no rea­son. It’s very tragic and

Inoth­ing could be done in time.”

The in­quest heard James had dial­y­sis the day be­fore the biopsy and then again two days af­ter the pro­ce­dure. James’s mum Clare Ledgar, who at­tended the in­quest with James’ dad Paul and sis­ter Mol­lie, told the in­quest he was not given any af­ter-care ad­vice af­ter the biopsy.

Miss Far­nell asked why he was not given ad­vice on us­ing hep­arin – a blood thin­ning drug used with kid­ney dial­y­sis – af­ter the pro­ce­dure.

Doc­tors from Sal­ford Royal said pa­tients can usu­ally carry out dial­y­sis the day af­ter a biopsy and it was ‘ex­tremely rare’ to suf­fer in­ter­nal bleed­ing.

They said there were no signs of in­ter­nal bleed­ing dur­ing the biopsy and James was ad­vised to come back if the swelling and pain didn’t get any bet­ter.

Af­ter the hear­ing Mrs Ledgar said: “James had a wicked sense of hu­mour and al­ways made ev­ery­one laugh.

“He loved five-a-side foot­ball and had a pas­sion for mo­tor­bikes. Even with ev­ery­thing he went through, he never winged.

was so proud of him.”


●● James Warrington

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.