‘Gentle giant’ died of heroin overdose
A TROUBLED man who led a chaotic lifestyle died from a heroin overdose, an inquest heard.
Michael Robert Cunningham, 34, suffered mental health problems including depression, anxiety and paranoia, the inquest at Macclesfield Town Hall heard.
His problems were made worse by taking drugs and he attended drug rehabilitation services.
The dad of two lived in a flat on Glegg Street, Macclesfield, where he received care from support workers.
And support staff and Michael’s mum Susan Cooke told the inquest he was showing signs of improvement.
Mrs Cooke said: “I saw him a couple of months before he died and he was quite positive about the future.” But on September 5 last year Michael’s carers became concerned when he didn’t leave his room in the morning and failed to answer his door.
Staff gained entry to his room and found him slumped on the floor at the end of his bed.
He had a syringe in his hand and there was other drug paraphernalia in the room, the court was told.
Paramedics attended but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Coroner Janet Napier said he died from heroin toxicity, due to misadventure.
She said: “This is terribly, terribly sad. He was a very intelligent young man who had major problems and a chaotic lifestyle.
“This shows the terrible effects of drugs and mental health issues.
“He seemed to be more stable but the drug habit was still there.”
After the inquest, his mum said son was a ‘gentle giant’, adding: “Michael was loving and considerate.
“He’d give you his last 50p. Once you met Michael, you’d never forget him.”