Re­lief for Askey

Macclesfield Express - - MOTORS -

VA­NARAMA CON­FER­ENCE MACC TOWN .................. 3 WELLING UNITED ........ 2

AT any stage of the sea­son any stroke of luck is most wel­comed, and with the runin loom­ing John Askey wasn’t about to look a gift horse in the mouth af­ter Macc Town’s win over Welling.

Twice Macc fell be­hind, and twice they dragged them­selves back on terms be­fore Matthew Bar­nesHomer’s late win­ner un­did the vis­i­tors, who’d played the sec­ond half a man down.

While it was far from their best per­for­mance the Silk­men were given a help­ing hand by ref­eree Ja­son White­ley with a gen­er­ous penalty in the first half.

A fur­ther boost came cour­tesy of the Wings’ An­thony Jef­frey, with two lu­di­crous yel­low cards be­fore the break, Mr White­ley given no real op­tion other than to bring Jef­frey’s mis­er­able day to an early close.

But it was the spot-kick that en­raged the vis­i­tors. Lee Bell, in his first match since Novem­ber, saw his goal­bound shot han­dled by Dar­ren Purse.

It was de­bat­able, and one that the con­ced­ing team are bound to feel ag­grieved at, but Waide Fairhurst leapt at the chance to net his 10th of the sea­son.

By that time Welling had taken the lead, scor­ing on their first attack, 20 min­utes in, as Do­minic Vose got his head to Reece Har­ris’ cross and beat Rhys Tay­lor at point-blank range.

That had come af­ter Macc’s early dom­i­nance but although Bar­nesHomer had latched onto Jef­frey’s woe­fully short back­pass Dar­ren Purse de­fended man­fully to block the striker, as well as Andy Halls’ fol­low-up ef­forts.

Fol­low­ing Vose’s goal Macc were al­most back level when Paul Turn­bull sized up a free-kick but he was inches off the tar­get, his shot beat­ing goal­keeper Jonathan Henly but crash­ing back off the up­right.

But with the fourth spot­kick Welling had con­ceded in less than two-and-ahalf games, Fairhurst found the bot­tom cor­ner to make it 1-1.

The vis­i­tors’ task was made all the more dif­fi­cult just be­fore the break as Jef­frey, who’d picked up a silly dis­sent-re­lated book­ing mid­way through the half, hacked down the in­flight Adri­ano Moke.

He was in­stantly, and cor­rectly, despatched down the tun­nel, to be joined sec­onds later by dis­grun­tled team-mates for the break.

How­ever, Welling – who’d been hop­ing to break a four-game los­ing streak – made light of their hand­i­cap in the sec­ond half and a del­i­cate chip over the top by skip­per Joe Healy saw them edge in front again, Ja­son Wil­liams match­ing the pass with an equally neat fin­ish over Tay­lor.

But Barnes-Homer’s preda­tory in­stincts won this game for the Silk­men. Fif­teen min­utes from time he robbed Chris Bush and clin­i­cally beat the on­rush­ing Henly to once again re­store par­ity.

And worse was to come for luck­less Welling.

With just eight min­utes to play Moke made it to the by­line and his cross was per­fectly-placed for Barnes-Homer.

The striker, in his first start since Christ­mas week, nod­ded in off the foot of the post to make it 3-2.

It was a lead that Macc were never likely to re­lin­quish, with Welling’s re­sis­tance fi­nally bro­ken and their manager ru­ing

●● Barnes-Homer pro­duces a neat fin­ish (above) and cel­e­brates with Adri­ano Moke

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.