Macc-nif­i­cent win at ti­tle-chas­ing South Cheshire

Macclesfield Express - - MOTORS - HOCKEY BEN SMITH

MACCLESFIELD in­flicted a sec­ond straight seven-goal de­feat on Con­gle­ton side South Cheshire at the week­end.

South Cheshire had suf­fered a 7-0 hum­bling at league lead­ers Black­pool a week ear­lier and so Macc made the short jour­ney there with a de­gree of op­ti­mism.

The early ex­changes saw fran­tic end-to-end ac­tion in which ei­ther team could have taken the lead.

Once they’d found a rhythm quick at­tack­ing play saw Macc take the lead through All­mandSmith, tip­ping the ball past the on­rush­ing keeper.

South Cheshire ral­lied and fought back, earn­ing an equaliser prior to Wild restor­ing Macc’s lead just be­fore half-time.

The sec­ond half started much like the first with plenty of op­por­tu­ni­ties. South Cheshire’s skil­ful for­wards were met by a tight de­fen­sive line, who turned over the ball and re­leased their own for­wards, al­low­ing for swift coun­ters in the now gap­ing spa­ces left by the press­ing op­po­si­tion.

All­mand-Smith made it 3-1 when he rounded the keeper and flicked past the de­fender on the line.

This re­sulted in South Cheshire play­ers get­ting wound up, with a cou­ple hav­ing to be pulled aside by the um­pires when de­ci­sions didn’t go their way.

Not pre­pared to go down with­out a fight they dug in again to pull one goal back, then from a penalty flick con­ceded by Macc’s ex­posed keeper Satin, they con­verted to draw level.

Not to be dis­heart­ened Macc pushed on to score four more goals from Smith de­flect­ing a through ball, Lock­ett dis­patch­ing a pull-back, Wild round­ing the keeper on the break and Board­man drag flick­ing into the top of the goal from a penalty cor­ner.

South Cheshire had the fi­nal word, con­vert­ing a penalty cor­ner of their own, but it wasn’t enough to pre­vent Macclesfield tak­ing the three points.

There was de­feat for the sec­ond and third teams, 4-1 at home to Tim­per­ley thirds and 5-2 against Bow­den sixth string.

The fourth team lost 11-0 at the newly-formed Keele Uni­ver­sity team that’s work­ing its way up the lad­der.

In the ladies’ ranks the first team lost 3-1 at Bow­den fourths but the sec­onds and thirds were both vic­to­ri­ous.

The sec­onds beat Ch­ester thirds 3-1 and the third team were 3-0 vic­tors over the vis­it­ing Dee­side Ram­blers thirds.

The fourths lost 11-1 at Whitchurch’s first team.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.