Mixed feel­ings at a point gained

Macclesfield Express - - MOTORS - VA­NARAMA CON­FER­ENCE

SOME days you just have to be happy with your lot. That was cer­tainly the case for Macclesfield when they dropped their first points of 2015 at South­port.

Macc were pegged back af­ter Danny Whi­taker’s sec­ond-half opener, and though they couldn’t take all three, Bar­net’s de­feat at Wrex­ham nar­rowed the gap at the sum­mit, which is in­creas­ingly con­gested.

The draw was the Silk­men’s first since tak­ing a point at Welling in midNovem­ber.

To add to the mixed emo­tions, they made up some ground on lead­ers Bar­net but Bris­tol Rovers’ win at Grimsby saw the Pi­rates leapfrog Macc into third.

Macc had the bet­ter of the first half but couldn’t make the break­through, although it was the rel­e­ga­tion-bat­tling hosts that came clos­est to a goal.

Richard Brodie thud­ded a shot against the post and back into the grate­ful arms of Rhys Tay­lor.

But all the other ac­tion took place in the South­port half, and there were chances for the ever-lively Danny Rowe, one of which was just over from a tight an­gle, the other hit straight at Danny Lloyd-We­ston.

Matthew Barnes-Homer and Paul Lewis also had open­ings but nei­ther could cap­i­talise in the first pe­riod, which ended goal- less. The sides trooped in, both feel­ing hard done by as they’d seen penalty ap­peals waved away, Brodie go­ing down in the Macc box and Adri­ano Moke be­ing forced to set­tle for an un­favourably­po­si­tioned free-kick.

The chances, as scarce as they’d been in the first half, dried up once they’d turned around.

Macc couldn’t come up with the break­through they’d threat­ened and there was pre­cious lit­tle yel­low peril to cope with.

The clos­est ei­ther side could come to break­ing the dead­lock was Alex Grant’s header, who should re­ally have hit the tar­get from Rowe’s cor­ner.

But the Silk­men’s skip­per for the day Whi­taker struck mid­way through the half, turn­ing in a cross from Barnes-Homer.

It wasn’t the clean­est con­tact Wilm­slow’s finest will ever make but he got enough on the ball to bun­dle it over the line.

Macc’s lead lasted less than 10 min­utes though, as South­port’s star man Brodie cap­i­talised on lessthan aus­pi­cious de­fend­ing. With the ball still bob­bling around the box and the de­fence Brodie man­aged to hook it over his shoul­der and be­yond Tay­lor.

The chances started to come Macc’s way but they’ll rue not mak­ing the most of them, par­tic­u­larly when Barnes-Homer was thwarted in a one-on-one with Lloyd-We­ston and sub­sti­tute Waide Fairhurst crashed his chance against the bar, the ball re­bound­ing off a de­fender and back to the keeper.

But although there was huff­ing and puff­ing from both par­ties, and with an­other of Brodie’s spot­kick shouts – this time for hand­ball against Alex Grant – waved away, nei­ther side could stretch to a win­ner and it ended 1-1.


Mike Ri­p­ley

●● Danny Whi­taker scored to give Macc a sec­ond-half ad­van­tage but they couldn’t cap­i­talise at South­port

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.